Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Presentation is loading. Please wait.

Economic Development in Asian Cities and the Prospectives in terms of Solid Waste Challenges 7 June 2013 Presented by: Dalson Chung Director for Industry.

Similar presentations


Presentation on theme: "Economic Development in Asian Cities and the Prospectives in terms of Solid Waste Challenges 7 June 2013 Presented by: Dalson Chung Director for Industry."— Presentation transcript:

1 Economic Development in Asian Cities and the Prospectives in terms of Solid Waste Challenges 7 June 2013 Presented by: Dalson Chung Director for Industry Development and Promotion Office National Environment Agency, Singapore

2 2 Source: Guardian.co.ukSource: wordpress.com Source: techmog.com

3 2 Source: Guardian.co.ukSource: blogs.isb.bj.edu.cn Source: img,chinasmack.comSource: thechive.files.wordpress.com Version 2

4 Economic Outlook – Emergence of three-speed recovery 4 Strong GrowthOn the Mend Long Way Ahead First Speed: Strong Growth -Emerging and Developing Economies Second Speed: On the Mend - Think of United States Third Speed: Long Way Ahead - Euro Area and Japan

5 Economic Outlook – Asia remains the engine of global growth 5 East Asia & the Pacific remained the fastest growing region in the world… …and an engine of global growth during the global turmoil Source: World Bank East Asia and Pacific Economic Update, April 2013

6 6 2 Phenomenon from Asia Economic Growth - Urbanisation By 2025, more than 55% of the worlds megacities will be in Asia… Source: ADB

7 7 2 Phenomenon from Asia Economic Growth – Change in Consumerism Source: Guardian.co.uk

8 8 What it means to Waste Management Sector Source: AFP

9 9 Diverse Measures Adopted in the Region China - Measures influenced by the 12 th Five-Year Plan (2011 – 2015) -Provides guidelines for the growth and development of the country, including waste management activities. Example: Example: -Incineration as the prioritised MSW treatment/disposal method for urban areas -WTE infrastructure as renewable energy resources -Waste segregation at source and recycling

10 10 Diverse Measures Adopted in the Region Thailand - Face strong opposition towards incineration -New MSW incinerators suspended due to anti-incineration campaigns -Landfill remains the primary waste management method

11 11 Diverse Measures Adopted in the Region Malaysia - Approx 95 – 97 % of the municipal waste collected is landfilled -Low operating capacities for the existing 4 incineration plants -Contemplating on the designs and modes of incineration available in the market

12 12 Diverse Measures Adopted in the Region Indonesia - Predominantly (90%) open dumps and landfills -Remaining 10% treated via composting incineration and anaerobic digestion -3R policy adopted -Aims to improve Indonesians basic waste management infrastructure

13 13 Increased Need in Solid Waste Management Infrastructure Source: AFP China 842 Waste treatment facilities Total worth: US$30.9 billion Philippines US$23 million allocated for improved solid waste management India Budget of US$582 million set aside for solid waste management projects Thailand 3 Solid waste management facilities Total worth: US$0.2 billion Indonesia More than 200 Solid waste management facilities Total worth: US$8 billion Indonesia More than 200 Solid waste management facilities Total worth: US$8 billion

14 14 Singapores Experience WTE Incineration Plant Offshore Landfill Unsanitary Landfills 1960s Today Garbage-Choked Singapore River Alfresco Dining at Singapore River

15 Platform for Mutual Sharing of Experiences and Solutions Clean Environment Leaders Summit Clean Environment Regulators Roundtable Technical ConferenceNetworking Sessions 700 high-level delegates over 2,000 industry experts more than 19,000 participants from 106 countries Innovative Clean Enviro-Solutions for Asias Growing Cities 1 – 4 June

16 16


Download ppt "Economic Development in Asian Cities and the Prospectives in terms of Solid Waste Challenges 7 June 2013 Presented by: Dalson Chung Director for Industry."

Similar presentations


Ads by Google