Presentation on theme: "Layout & Convention of Letter Writing"— Presentation transcript:
1Layout & Convention of Letter Writing LI HualiBUPT-SH
2I Every well-constructed letter is made up of at least the following parts: HeadingInside address3. Salutation / Greeting4. Body5. Complimentary closure6. Signature
31. The headingPrinted letterhead, including name of organization, address, telephone number, etc.Date.
42. Inside address (optional if it is a personal letter) “Mr.” “Ms.” “Mrs.” “Miss”“Rev.” for clergymen“Dr” , “Prof.” “General” “Captain” “President”etc.Messrs.; Gentlemen; Mmes or Madams; Messrs.Two or more men are addressed as “Messrs”, but a father and a son could not be lumped as “Messrs.” They should be addressed individually as :Mr. Howard BrownMr. John BrownFor unmarried sisters, the envelope should be addressed like “Misses Mary and Jane Howell”
5Dear + Mr./Mrs./ Ms./Miss + Surname 3. SalutationDear + Mr./Mrs./ Ms./Miss + SurnameDear Sir or Madam, or Dear Sir/MadamDear Sir,Dear SirsDear+ Christian name
64. Body of the LetterMaking a start (opening);Stating the main points (middle part);concluding
75. Complementary Closing Affectionately,Yours with love,Fondly,With best wishes,Love,Yours,
8Always hand-write your signature; Sign your name in ink; 6. The signatureAlways hand-write your signature;Sign your name in ink;Write you name legibly, so there can be no doubt as to the exact spelling of your name.
97. Special remarks Attention Notice or Particular Address Letter subjectPostscriptTitleEnclosure
10II. The EnvelopeWrite the recipient’s address in the center (or a bit to the right), and single space if it takes three lines or more. On the first line, you write the recipient’s name, (followed by the recipient’s organization, if any) then the street number, street, city, state and ZIP code. The country’s name comes last;Use only accepted abbreviations.Place your own single-spaced address in the upper left-hand corner. First, you write your own name, then your organization followed by the street, city, province and the name of the country.