Presentation on theme: "Shawangunk Historical Society"— Presentation transcript:
1 Shawangunk Historical Society Shawangunk Hearths Revisited – Frank MentzPresentation by Alan White & Harold Van AkenPictures and history of Wallkill’s old houses of the 1700’sWallkill Reformed Church – Bridge StreetMay 5, 2010 at 7:30 PMRefreshmentsAll are welcomeFree
2 Shawangunk Hearths Revisited Alan White & Harold Van Aken5/5/2010Shawangunk Historical Society
4 Shawangunk Hearths by Frank Mentz Because the scenes of his childhood remain so vividly in his keen memory, Frank B. Mentz born in 1887, brings his recollections of another age to the reader through the encouragement of his journalistic friend, Vera D. SeelyPublished 1974
5 The Old Houses Cornelius Hasbrouck – page 124 Phinney – Page 1 Andries DuBois – page 14Simon DuBois House – page 38Justice Banks – page 31Ostrander House – page 42Dr. Whary – page 57Walstein Childs House – not in bookDr. Graham – page 6Lippencott Home Anna Rapalje – page 72Terwilliger House – not in book
9 Cornelius Hasbrouck - location 2000 acres of land which had a frontage on the Wallkill River of one mile and ran due east about three miles to the top of Kings Hill in Orange County. The west boundary on this estate was the Wallkill River, the south the Orange County line and the north boundary Routes 208 and 300
11 Cornelius Hasbrouck - Owners Built in 1771John P. Andrews1865 – 1881John G. Borden1881 – 1892Marion Borden1892 – 1950Dr. C.J. HoytToday
12 Cornelius Hasbrouck – Other Information John Borden began the task of beautification of the entire estate.He built new roads and lined them all with maple trees.He built many lakes and had the entire land east of the railroad laid out in building lots with wide streets.He owned most of the land east of the Phinney property where the town hall, Library and Fire Department are.John Borden had two boys, Gail and Lewis and two girls Nellie and MarionMarion Borden married George Halliday who later owned the Wallkill Hat Shop. He was killed at the factory when he grabbed a high tension electric wire at the factory. * Dr. Clare J. Hoytt - a leading veterinarian who restored the house nearly to its original design.
13 Cornelius Hasbrouck - More South House - Built by Cornelius Hasbrouck before the 1771 north house and was used for slave quarters. The house was torn down when Marion built the Borden Mansion.Several Barns, shedsJohn Borden OfficeJohn Borden brought Electric to Wallkill in 1908 from his power plants.When George Halliday, husband of Marion Borden, bought the hat shop he built a water power plant to power the farm and town
20 Phinney HouseLocated behind the Wallkill Savings and Loan building on Wallkill Avenue. Until 1900 the old Phinney property included all of the current hamlet of Wallkill on this side of the Wallkill River.On the north the property joined the Andries DuBois Farm. The east and South sides along the Wallkill Avenue and Route 300, ran to the end of Viola Street and joined the Cornelius Hasbrouck land which became the JP Andrews, Borden and then Hoyt land.
22 Phinney House - Owners Cornelius Bruyn 1776 - Built by Cornelius Bruyn Van Kleek1875CoyMr. Coy was employed by the Paper MillAnna & Hollister BrownThey bought the house and were the last to live in it- descendant of Cornelius BruynTransition Metal CompanyOwned by Hat factory until the plant close and then was sold to the Savings and LoanSavings and LoanThe House was in need of extensive restoration and was demolished to make room for the bank2004 Bank expanded to cover the location of the cow and horse barn
23 Other InformationEdward Moore set up a Blacksmith shop in 1900 in the horse barnThomas Casalette bought the building in a couple of years and converted it to a residence for his father-in-law Alex Petrie.A one inch square wooden pipe ran from a spring on 3rd street to the barnHorse Barn and Cow Barn on the location of the Valley Food Market (Burned in 1973 when the steel building next to it caught fire from welding)
29 North on Wallkill Avenue between Pleasant Avenue and DuBois Avenue Andries DuBois HouseMilestone in Wallkill - The Andries DuBois Home - One of Wallkill's Oldest circa 1769North on Wallkill Avenue between Pleasant Avenue and DuBois Avenue
31 Andries DuBois House - Owners 1769 – Built the house in circa 1769Jonathan DuBoisJonathan died in 1789Sarah DuBois Vernooy1789 – 1809Simon DuBois1809 – 1810James Mitchell1810 – 1842James Nicholl Mitchell1842 – 1853Charles F.V. Reeve1853 – 1856Simon L. DuBois1856 – 1865Jonathan Deyo DuBois1865 – 1871Jacob Tears1871Elizabeth DuBois1871 – 1891John Alsdorf Tears John died in 1892 and his widow married John ManningJohn ManningLaid out building lots between Wallkill Ave and Orchard and sold themCora DuBois Rogers1965 Shares ownership with her sister Edith DuBois PowellHarold RogersUpon his Mother’s death her son Harold took ownership and sold to the Historical Society 2003
32 Andries DuBois House Other Information Destroyed by fire in the late 1700’sRebuilt as Federal style House circa 1814Greek Revival Renovations circa 1845Hattie Tears - daughter of John Tears who became the first pipe organ player in the Reformed Church in 1892The barnyard was U shaped with the Cow barn on the West and the horse barn on the East.Near the road on the North side was a grainery and a spring.There was an apple orchard too
40 Simon P. DuBois - Owners Simon P. Dubois Early 1800's built Isaac. Tobias1880 – 1903James Howell1960's 'sReverend Bruce Penn1980's 'sJeff Ambrose1990's - now
41 Simon P. DuBois – Other Names Simon was a brother to Andries DuBois ???Simon was a great-grandfather to Herbert and Daniel D. DuBoisTobias childrenJoe - Left the farm and went to live in NYCKatherine - Married Albert Kidd and moved to Middletown when Albert was promoted at the Borden Milk companyIra - Stayed on the farm and took care of Mother and farm until 1903 when he married.Warren & Elizabeth Tobias - Children of Ira.Warren joined the Navy andElizabeth lived with Mia Titus until she married at 17 to George Hammesfahr. They had 2 children - Joan and Marion who is the wife of Joseph Doolittle
46 Justus Banks House (Lucht) North end of Wallkill Avenue and has a lane running east from the road about 300 feet from where the house is located.It is about one-half block north of the entrance to Hulse Street.
48 Justus Banks House - Owners Built in 1772 by Justus Banks Served in the Revolutionary War - 4th Ulster unitCatherine Graham BanksSep 12, Death of Justus and his wife took ownership. Catherine was the daughter of Capt George Graham who lived across the riverJoseph MillspaughFeb 24,1826 Catherine Graham died and building was bought? Changed roof lineThomas Fulton1874 Traded La Tourettes gristmill (Borden Road) for the house with Joseph MillspaughJohn Buchanan1875 His daughter married Gordon Hulse from Salisbury Mills who came to work on the farmGordon Hulse1875 Gordon had 3 children and ran the farm. Ida, Dewitt & AdrianAdrian Hulse1906 Gordon Hulse died and his wife ran the farm with her son Adrian until he retired and they sold it to Carl LuchtCarl Lucht1931 bought 240 acre farmDonald MyersAugust 1975 Lived thereAbandonedAlan & Marcia WhitePresent day
49 Justus Banks House – Other info Sarah Carmen Mentz (Frank Mentz's Grandmother) went to work for them doing housework in 1854 and said there was a school across the road.Bill Schoonmaker and family lived in the school house that was converted to a tenant house in His family entertained Saturday night at the Sam Jansen Hotel. The Barn was replaced with a huge barn in the early 1900's and is still in good shape todayFirst School House in Wallkill was across the road. The school was made into a tenant house for the Farm WorkersLarge Country storePotash factory It was a boarding House in the 1940's, 1950's and early 1960'sOriginal Banks farm included all land East up to Route 208. Included the High school and all its fields.The house had 4 fireplaces - Kitchen, Living room and 2 bedrooms
56 Ostrander House - Location East side of the old Galeville road, just about one-half mile north of Wallkill. It stands on high hill about 300 feet from the road. It was built about 1775 and is constructed of field stone.
58 Ostrander House - Owners Jacob Ostrander1775 House ConstructedE.H. Waldron1875Terwilliger1880'sLottie Terwilliger1890's –Nicholas Runowichpresent day House was taken down in 1973
59 Ostrander House – Names Mentioned John Pierman - Lottie hired him to run the farm and married him 2 years laterSunday school program Fred Wilkin, Josiah Phinney, Emma Wilkins, Harry Millspaugh, Anna and Ida McElhoneWilliam Ostrander - Blacksmith shop in townClare F. Ostrander - Principal of Wallkill Elementary SchoolKaren and Linda Ostrander - daughters of Clare OstranderHarry and Howard Ostrander - sons of William Ostrander and classmates of Mentz
64 Dr. Whary House - Owners Dr. David Whary Circa 1817 Daniel D. DuBois 18241855Daniel D. DuBois 1891Circa 1920 – GrandsonMargery DuBoisCirca Daughter - Operating the farmMichael GastonAbout 2000 to present day
65 Dr. Whary House – Other Names Sons Simon L. DuBois born 1859 and Everett B. born in 1862The original house was one and a half stories high with a cellar basement kitchen. In 1896 Alex Petrie and Ezra Mentz raised the roof and made it a two-story house.Daniel DuBois had two daughters, Mary and Margery who is at home and operates the farm.
66 Dr. Whary House – Other Buildings There was an old milk house along the bank of the river with a springThe island in the Wallkill River was planted with all kinds of crops, both vegetable and flowers.
67 Dr. Whary House – Other Information There are four fire places in this old house, one in the basement cellar, one in the dining room, another in an upstairs bedroom and one in the living room. The one in the living room has an iron casting in it that bears the date 1816.
71 Walstein Childs House Location Hidden from public view on the western edge of Wallkill Correctional Facility
72 Walstein Childs House Owners Mulford family1763 carved into a slender horizontal stone on the front facade.Walstein Childs1876 a year after Marriage to Margaret HasbrouckChilds family- 1946Orma O. Healy1946 – 1950Edwin and Virginia Abrahamsen1950 –BernardBernhard and Ema Thieben??Dr. Wallace KarutzLee TitusWallkill Correctional Facility2000
73 Walstein Childs House – Other Names Kris Pedersen - Chair of the Planning BoardTract of land conveyed to David Mulford in 1776 by Charles Clinton the brother of Governor Clinton
74 Walstein Childs – Other Information A number of surviving features date from the original construction of the house:The wide rough-hewn floor boards, deep window sills, the staircase, the fireplace surround, and historic iron fire backA Dutch door with original hardware, and a chimney made from Wallkill River mud bricks.The building itself is constructed of fine Dutch stone masonry, with later repairs made in an Italian masonry style.Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2003
79 Graham House - Owners Dr. James Graham Built in 1772 on land granted to Girard Beekman by the English Crown in 1709Jemima Forbisch Graham1815 Dr Graham died and left the farm to his wifeJ. Edmund Grahamabout 1890David Robertson1930's – 1982Herbert DuBoisVic and Mary WorkCurrently owns the farm
80 Graham House - Owners Dr. James Graham Built in 1772 on land granted to Girard Beekman by the English Crown in 1709Jemima Forbisch Graham1815 Dr Graham died and left the farm to his wifeJ. Edmund GrahamDavid Robertsonabout 1890Herbert DuBois1930's – 1982Vic and Mary WorkCurrently owns the farm
81 Graham House – Other Names George Graham - James Father a Native of Ireland arrived in 1730's and was the Overseer of the Wallkill Road in 1746.Jemima Forbisch - Married James Graham 1776 at the Kingston Dutch Reformed ChurchJoseph Hasbrouck and wife Elizabeth BevierDavid Hasbrouck - trained by James to be a DoctorMattie Robertson - married J. Edmund GrahamAlice Graham Deyo and Warren V. Deyo of WallkillJames Graham - Newburgh AttorneyAlex Petrie - Hired to rebuild fireplace and found a bottle of Applejack and a powder horn.Angie Lee Watts - Niece of David Robertson who visited in 1950Martha Meyer Graham - Niece of the Robertsons
82 Graham House – Other Information James Graham was Colonel in the NY Militia 1782, NY Assembly 1790, State Senate 1798Militia training ground at Bruyn & Albany Post Road he commandedGeorge Washington reviewed the militia and stayed at James Graham House in 1782
89 Lippencott House - Owners UnknownBuilt in about 1800D.W. Rapalye1828 – 1879Anna Rapalye & Leonard Lippencott1880's 'sSeth Lippencott1920's – 1978Joseph Massimilla called JamJoy CateringMarty Van Dyknow called Lippencott Manor Catering
90 Lippencott House – Other Names Children of Leonard and Anna Lippencott:SethMayWorkmanJesseBenjaminHelenJudge Seth Lippencott - Classmate of MentzOra Sheeley - wife of Judge Lippencott
91 Lippencott House – Other Information Before and after the Revolutionary War, general training was given to the NYS militia on the west side of the farm, which is on the Albany Post Road.It was on this farm that the artillery range was located.
95 Terwilliger House Location The Isaac Terwilliger-Everett Cameron House is off of the Bruyn Turnpike, on the left hand side just before reaching Hoagerburgh Road.The area was called Hooge Bergh which, in Dutch, means high hill.
97 Terwilliger House Owners Isaac Terwilliger1736 – Family run for 200 yearsCameronTerwilliger- 1942Luther & Thelma Myers1942 – Came back East in the Mid 30’s to escape the Great Dust BowlDonald MyersSon ran the farm until June 1980John & Judith PulinJune May 1993B & T CoomerMay August 1997B. CoomerAugust October 1998Warren & A PiresOctober 1998 –Simon to PiresJanuary 22 Acres of land
98 Terwilliger House – Other Information It is thought to be the original house of Isaac Terwilliger, who was born in 1716.His son, Evert, was a captain in the RevolutionDonald Myers family owned and operated the farm in the 1940's 'sThe house was fully restored between by John and Judy Pullin and family.