Presentation on theme: "MUNICIPAL COMPREHENSIVE REVIEW Part of the City of Bramptons Review of the 2006 Official Plan OPEN HOUSE April 24, 2014."— Presentation transcript:
MUNICIPAL COMPREHENSIVE REVIEW Part of the City of Bramptons Review of the 2006 Official Plan OPEN HOUSE April 24, 2014
WHAT IS AN OFFICIAL PLAN (OP)? A legal document legislated by the Ontario Planning Act Describes a municipalitys policies on how land should be used to ensure that future planning and development meet the needs of the community Deals mainly with issues such as: o Location of new housing, industry, offices and shops. o Location of and types of services that are needed, such as roads, sewers, parks and schools. Official Plan = How & Where we grow
Official Plan Review Environmental Master Plan Transportation Master Plan Development Design Guidelines Development Charge By-Law Review Growth Management Central Area Planning Strategic Plan ALIGNMENT OF CITY INITIATIVES
BRAMPTON OFFICIAL PLAN REVIEW The Ontario Planning Act requires that an Official Plan be reviewed at least every 5 years. Bramptons review of its current 2006 Official Plan (approved in 2008) will update policies to guide land use planning, growth management and development approval to 2041, within the context of Provincial and Regional policies and Plans. Updating the Official Plan provides an opportunity to address future changes in the physical planning of Brampton, and how these may be integrated with other City initiatives for managing sustainable economic, environmental and social change. The Official Plan Review includes a comprehensive assessment of the Citys policies and designations for employment areas.
EMPLOYMENT AREAS IN BRAMPTON Bramptons OP defines Employment Areas as: lands that are designated in Secondary Plans for clusters of business and economic activities including, but not limited to, manufacturing, warehousing, offices and associated retail and ancillary uses. Employment lands are required to ensure long-term economic viability at the local and regional levels. Municipalities are required to conform to provincial policies to promote economic development and competitiveness by: o Providing for an appropriate mix of employment uses o Planning, protecting and preserving employment lands for current and future uses
MUNICIPAL COMPREHENSIVE REVIEW (MCR) Employment land conversion refers to the re-designation of current employment lands for non- employment uses. The provincial Growth Plan requires that proposals to convert lands in designated employment areas to non- employment uses must undergo a Municipal Comprehensive Review initiated by the municipality. Brampton has received a number of proposals for employment land conversions and is undertaking a Municipal Comprehensive Review to assess these proposals as part of the current Official Plan Review.
MUNICIPAL COMPREHENSIVE REVIEW (MCR) An employment land conversion may be approved where it has been demonstrated that: o There is a need for the conversion o The municipality will meet its allocated employment forecasts o The conversion will not adversely affect the overall viability of the employment area o There is existing or planned infrastructure to accommodate the proposed use o The lands are not required over the long term for employment purposes o Cross-jurisdictional issues have been considered
1. PETRELLI/IANNACE Location: NE corner of CNR & McLaughlin Rd Site Area: 4.3 ha Official Plan Designation: Industrial, Open Space Secondary Plan Designation: Industrial Zoning: Industrial 1 (M1), Open Space
2. NEVETS-AIRPORT RD. HOLDINGS Location: SE corner of Nevets Rd. & Airport Rd. Site Area: 0.80 ha Official Plan Designation: Industrial Secondary Plan Designation: Industrial Zoning: Industrial 4 – Section 1569 (M4-1569)
3. CASTLEMORE COUNTRY PROPERTIES LTD. Location: NE corner of Castlemore Rd & Fines Av Site Area: 3.3 ha Official Plan Designation: Business Corridor Secondary Plan Designation: Mixed Commercial/Industrial, Collector Road Zoning: Agricultural (A)
4. OURAY DEV. INC. Location: E of Nexus Av between Ebenezer Rd and Fogal Rd Site Area: 3.0 ha Official Plan Designation: Business Corridor, SPA 13 Secondary Plan Designation: Mixed Commercial/Industrial, Valleyland, Collector Road Zoning: Industrial 4 – Section 1766 (M4-1766)
5. TACC HOLBORN Location: E of The Gore Rd between Fogal Rd and Queen St E Site Area: 17.6 ha Official Plan Designation: Business Corridor, Office Secondary Plan Designation: Neighbourhood Retail, Mixed Comm/ Industrial, Valleyland, SPA 8 Zoning: Industrial 4 – Sections 1995, 1914, 1915 (M4-1995, 1914, 1915), Service Commercial – Section 1916 (SC-1916), Floodplain (F)
6. 2205086 ONTARIO INC. Location: 8386/8412 Highway 50 Site Area: 9.4 ha Official Plan Designation: Business Corridor, Parkway Belt West Secondary Plan Designation: Mixed Commercial/Industrial Zoning: Commercial Agricultural (CA)
7. 802156 ONT. LTD. & 2244686 ONT. LTD. Location: SW corner of Queen St E and Hwy 50 Site Area: 16.2 ha Official Plan Designation: Business Corridor, Office, Open Space Secondary Plan Designation: Valleyland, Office Node, Mixed Commercial/Industrial, SPA 12 Zoning: Floodplain (F), Service Commercial – Section 2094 (SC-2094)
8. ROYAL PINE & OTHERS Location: W of The Gore Rd, N of Queen St E Site Area: 9.8 ha Official Plan Designation: Business Corridor, Office, Residential Secondary Plan Designation: Mixed Commercial/Industrial, Office Node, Med. Density Residential, Cluster High Density Residential Zoning: Industrial 4 – Sections 1800, 1751, 1752 (M4-1800, 1751, 1752), Agriculture (A), Residential Rural Estate 2 (RE2)
9. ALPA STONE INC. Location: N of Queen St E, East of Humberwest Pkwy Site Area: 1.98 ha Official Plan Designation: Business Corridor Secondary Plan Designation: Intermediate Office Zoning: Residential Rural Estate Holding (REH)
NEXT STEPS Receive feedback and confirm additional conversion requests MCR submitted with recommendations (Summer 2014) Report to Council on new findings/direction to begin Planning Act process (Sep 2014) Statutory public meeting to present draft OPA based on MCR findings (Late 2014/Early 2015) Council adoption of OPA (Spring 2015)
Comment forms can be placed in the drop box today. If you need more time: drop form off: Planning Department, 3 rd Floor, City Hall fax: 905 874-2099 Mail form: Municipal Comprehensive Review, Planning, Design and Development Department, 3 rd Floor, City Hall, 2 Wellington Street West, Brampton ON L6Y 4R2 Email: email@example.com@brampton.ca Please submit your comments by May 16, 2014 WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS?