Presentation on theme: "Mitchell House School Marmont History. This map from the 1700s shows McIsaacs Farm. It seems to be where Marmont is today."— Presentation transcript:
Mitchell House School Marmont History
This map from the 1700s shows McIsaacs Farm. It seems to be where Marmont is today.
Photo of Marmont in 1910 by R A Mitchell.
The man who took these photographs of Marmont in 1910.
This photograph shows Mrs Edith Mitchell. She was the wife of R A Mitchell and was the daughter of Mr Thomas Gallagher. Her Father owned a very large tobacco business and she was a wealthy woman.
Mr Mitchell is shown here in the uniform of the Deputy Lord Lieutenant for Belfast. He was a magistrate and a member of the Belfast Harbour Commission. The Mitchells attended St Marks Church, Dundela. They gave the organ to the Church and they also supported the hospitals and other local charities.
This picture shows some of the greenhouses and conservatory in which the gardeners grew grapes, nectarines, chrysanthemums, and other plants for the Mitchells.
Here we can see the walled gardens in which were grown fruit and vegetables for the Marmont kitchen.
Our Dining Hall was once the billiards room – that is why it is large and has a decorated ceiling. The lights used to hang above a big billiards table.
In St Marks Church there is an organ which was given by Mrs Edith Mitchell in The Mitchell family were supporters of St Marks Church, Dundela which is on the Holywood Road.
When visitors arrived at Marmont, they entered the grounds at the Gate Lodge on the Holywood Road.
At the back of Marmont was a row of outhouses. Fruit, vegetables and tools were stored here by the gardeners. The big building had been a barn and was later used as a garage for the Mitchells cars. They owned a big, shiny Rolls Royce car.