Presentation on theme: "Blood Safety & Blood Donor Motivation. BLOOD Facts Blood flows everywhere through out the human body. One cannot live without it. The heart pumps blood."— Presentation transcript:
Blood Safety & Blood Donor Motivation
BLOOD Facts Blood flows everywhere through out the human body. One cannot live without it. The heart pumps blood to all the cells, supplying them with oxygen and food. Blood also carries proteins and cell fragments called platelets that let blood clot where there has been an injury.
Did You Know? 350ml of blood can save as many as three lives. Even with all of todays technology, there is no substitute of blood. The beneficiary is usually in state of emergency and can not make an appeal The act gives you a sense of satisfaction and binds you to your society Someone has to give blood in order for someone to receive blood.
Fact Sheet -1 In Jharkhand the need of blood is approximately 3 lakh units. Approximately not even 1% of the eligible population in Jharkhand donates blood. Approximately 10% of regular donors donate only ONCE in a year. If they donate just two times per year the shortage could be managed.
Fact sheet -2 A person has litres of blood in their body. A person can donate blood after an interval of every 90 days (3 months). Body recovers the Blood very quickly: Blood plasma volume– within hours Red Blood Cells – in about 3 weeks Platelets & White Blood Cells – 2 to 3 Days
and many others……. 1 of out 10 hospital patients needs a blood transfusion Blood is always needed for, accident victims cancer patients blood disorder patients surgery patients Pre-mature, pre term babies Some Reasons to Donate Blood
Blood Banks Primary Concern - Safety of Blood Donor & Blood Recipient (patient) because Safe Blood gives life, Unsafe blood gives infections To ensure Blood Safety, Strict Donor Screening at the Camp Testing of collected blood Safe Storage of collected blood up to 35 days. Strict cross-matching of blood samples to ensure safe transfusion to patient
Pre-Donation information It is quick and safe. It doesnt hurt. It can save up to 3 lives. Blood is taken ONLY from Voluntary Donors Using sterile, disposable blood bags & instruments Donated Blood is tested and stored It is safe to donate every 3 months
Procedure for Voluntary Blood Donation Pre-Donation: 1. Donor Screening 2. Donor Eligibility criteria 3. Deferral Criteria (Donor Consent Form) 4. Medical examination including Hb estimation Blood Donation: 5. Blood donation procedure Post donation 6. Rest for 15 minutes, advice & light refreshment 7. Donor Certificate, Donor card and Thanks.
Safe Donor selection involves – 1. Identification of low risk populations 2. Donor education and recruitment 3. Encouraging self deferral based on Deferral Criteria 4. Medical Examination before donation Voluntary Non-remunerated Repeat Donor (VNRD) is safest 1. Donor Screening
2. Donor Eligibility Criteria Who can donate? Age: years Weight : > 45 kgs Hemoglobin level: 12. gms and above In good health Wt > 45 Kg
3. D eferral Criteria Who CANNOT donate? Life long1 year6 Months2 Weeks х Abnormal bleeding disorder х Heart, Kidney, Liver Disorder in specific conditions х Terminal Thyroid disorder х Epilepsy, Mental disorders х Tuberculosis, Leprosy if not cured х Asthma х Cancer х Insulin dependent diabetics х Uncontrolled High BP o Surgery o Typhoid o Rabies Vaccination o Unexplained weight loss o Continuous low grade fever o Tattooing or body piercing o Root canal treatment o Malaria o Vaccination Dental Manipulation upper respiratory tract infections gastroenteritis
3. Deferral Criteria… (Donor Consent Form) Postpone donation for 6 months if you have risk factors for HIV/AIDS Having sex with more than one partner Having sex with any unknown partner Intravenous drug abuse Having sex with a person who could have the above risk factors
Female donors cannot donate blood…… During pregnancy After delivery for one year When lactating During menstrual period 3. Deferral Criteria… (Donor Consent Form)
4. Medical Examination at camp Blood test for: Blood grouping Hemoglobin Blood pressure Pulse General physical examination
5. Blood Donation Procedure Remember! The Donor Must …. have had good rest / sleep have had light meal be mentally prepared
5. Blood Donation Procedure Volume of blood collection Donor Weight Blood collected AmountUsed for 45 kgs - 55 kgs 350mlSingle bag Whole Blood > 55 kgs450 mlDouble / Triple bag Blood Components
Post Donation Advice Drink lots of fluids for next 24 hours Avoid smoking for one hour & alcohol till after a meal Avoid highly strenuous exercises & games for a day If it bleeds, apply pressure & reapply band-aid. The bruise is due to blood seeping into the surrounding tissue. It will take a few days to get reabsorbed. Remove band-aid after 4 hours
6. Testing at Blood Bank for Transfusion Transmissible Infections (TTIs) Blood collected at the BDC is screened using highest quality screening tests for 5 TTIs HIV Hepatitis B Hepatitis C VDRL (syphilis) Malaria
Counselling for Reactive donors If a blood sample tests positive for any TTI, then…. Tests are repeated in duplicate Complete confidentiality is maintained about the test results only the donor is informed, counseled & encouraged for further testing Referrals to health experts are provided along with follow-ups
7. Blood Products / Components & their uses Blood collected is screened for TTIs (infections) & if SAFE, is separated into components & stored for issue to patients. Whole blood For Exchange Transfusion in Babies Accident Victims Complicated Delivery cases Some specific surgeries Blood Components Red Cells (for anemia) Fresh Frozen Plasma (for clotting disorders, burns) Platelets/Platelet rich plasma (for cancer, dengue etc) Cryoprecipitate (for clotting disorders)
What can YOU do? Make Blood Donation a HABIT Donate regularly – every 3 months to commemorate special days like birthdays, anniversaries …. Motivate others to donate Refer your friends and relatives
Benefits to Donor of blood donation Health benefits: Regular donation (2-3 times a year….) Lowers cholesterol Lowers lipid levels Decreases incidence of heart attacks, strokes Donor is also eligible to receive one FREE unit of blood if needed for Self Spouse/ Child/ Parents, and Even friends
Volunteers role Most people who have never donated have never been asked. Posters dont recruit donors…people do