Presentation on theme: "Wantagh Elementary 5 th Graders A Digital Tour of Wantaghs Historic Sites."— Presentation transcript:
Wantagh Elementary 5 th Graders A Digital Tour of Wantaghs Historic Sites
Built in the 1700s Home to the Jones family in the 1800s Expanded in 1875 Comedian Lenny Bruce ran away from home at the age of 16 and worked on the Dengler farm from 1941 to 1943 Fred Dengler passed away in 1973 His wife re-married in 1983 His wife Caroline died in 2007 Landmarked June 8, 2011 His son sold it to its present owner in 2011 The Jones-Dengler Farm House
Now a therapists office It has a colonial design This past spring it got sold to the present owner who plans to renovate the home It is located at 1051 Wantagh avenue, Wantagh between Duckpond Drive and Lee Ann Terrace
~Wantagh Auto Body~ Wantaghs Original Fire Department
~Wantagh Auto body~ Wantaghs Original Fire Department The cupola on the top is original and used to be the siren for the fire department which rang until In march of 1963 the Motchweiller family bought the building turned it into Wantagh Auto body
~Wantagh Auto Body~ Wantaghs Original Fire Department The other fire department took all of the equipment from the structure. The Motchweiller family only knocked down a few walls for more space, no other changes were made to the building.
WANTAGH AUTO BODY ~ WANTAGHS OLD FIRE DEPARTMENT After the fire department left part of it was used as a diner, in 1965 it closed and is now used as a backyard for the shop. The upstairs still has the original floors and panels.
WANTAGH AUTO BODY~ WANTAGHS OLD FIRE DEPARTMENT The top was rented as a dress factory, but is now rented to Brands as bicycle storage.
Wantagh Museum & Old Train Station
Jones Beach State Park
Thomas Jones Thomas Jones was born in 1665 in Ireland. He landed on the South Shore of Long Island in He was given a permit to start a whaling company in 1705 and died eight years later in 1713.
Robert Moses Moses was a big part of Jones Beachs architecture. He helped design most of Jones Beach. The park opened in 1929.
Marine Theatre The Marine Theater opened in Guy Lombardo was a big part of the designing the Marine Theatre.
Guy Lombardo Guy Lombardo was a huge part of designing the Marine Theatre and many other Jones Beach structures.
Nikon Theater Nikon Theater opened in 1954 with 8,200 seats. It expanded into a second deck in 1991 and opened a bay stage in 2009.
Jones Beach Bathhouses The West Bathhouse was built in 1930 by Robert Moses and Herbert Magoon. The East was built in 1930 soon after the West Bathhouse opened.
Jones Beach Lighthouse The Jones Beach Lighthouse was built in 1930 The pencil as it is known locally is an icon of Jones Beach and can be seen from miles away
Jones Beach Beaches Jones Beach opened in Fields 1, 2, and 6 were opened from 1948 to Zachs Bay ( Field 5) was added in 1935.
Fun Facts NYS Traffic Department had to expand the Meadowbrook Parkway and others, due to the high volume of people who wanted to visit Jones Beach Jones Beach hosts the New York Air Show on Memorial Day weekend Blue Angels Fly Over Jones Beach
Harold Avenue Cemetery
The Cemeterys Roots The cemeterys roots can be traced back to the early 1800s, when Thomas Jackson, a white Revolutionary War Veteran, sold 20 acres of land to freed African American Jeffrey Jackson in Thomas Jackson, who is buried in the cemetery, owned land located where the Wantagh Public Library stands today and lived by the Jerusalem River. He was a brave man who served in the 4 th line and the Second New York Regiment and also took part in the capture of Fort St. George and fought in the Battle of Long Island in 1776
The History of Harold Avenue Cemetery The Harold Avenue Cemetery is located west of Old Mill Road between Lawrence Place and Harold Avenue. The Harold Avenue burial plot was used by the descendants of the Jackson family slaves prior to 1862, the date of the first recorded burial in the Old Burial Ground on Oakfield Avenue.
Sources Sited Sources; Cemeteries of Old Wantagh Editorial Committee Wantagh American Revolution Bicentennial Committee Wantagh, NY May, 1976 Larry Engel, Wantagh Boy Scouts, District 12 Sherwin Kaplan, Voice of Wantagh Karl Pfeiffer, Wantagh American Legion Donna Rigali, Wantagh Public Library Source; Wantagh Seaford Patch.com Melissa OConnor December 16, 2010
Sources Interviews with manager of Wantagh Auto Body Interviews with manager of Wantagh Auto Body tobodyrepair/ /in/set for pictures tobodyrepair/ /in/set for pictures tobodyrepair/ /in/set tobodyrepair/ /in/set By: Shayna DeRosa