Presentation on theme: "Sept 12 Monday: picking partners and storyboarding Look at how to find commercials on my website Go to media center: look at ads for ideas. Maybe find."— Presentation transcript:
Sept 12 Monday: picking partners and storyboarding Look at how to find commercials on my website Go to media center: look at ads for ideas. Maybe find one to talk back to
Homework 9/19-9/23 Schedule for week of 9/19 -9/23 9/19 Monday: TIB essay due (attach rubric and 2 earlier drafts) 9/20 Tuesday: review for test on short stories 9/21 Project Success 9/22 in-class writing assignment on how setting reinforces theme in the stories we have read. Be familiar with all stories and the terms: pov, climax, epiphany. 9/23 Voc Quiz #2 Climb Every Mountain Read and bring Outcasts United for class discussion. Bring in two sig. passages
Agenda: Sept. 9, 2011 Vocabulary Quiz How to organize essay Read Call your Mother How is the essay organized? Practice parallel construction If time:look at active voice
Check for active voice in 1st paragraph Dont say: The time I began to believe in ghosts is when….(cut all is when s) Put in active voice: I first started to believe in ghosts when I felt, but didnt see someone lying beside me on the bed.
Avoid Passive voice The brilliant essay was written by john. (This is passive because the subject of the sentence is disguised as the object of a preposition. The object receiving the action is in the subject slot) ACTIVE VOICE IS STRONGER: John wrote the brilliant essay ( subject verb object)
1. A Tragedy is when all the main characters die at the end. (Clue: get rid of is when. All the main characters die at the end of a tragedy.
2.The artistic capabilities of the whales of this species are the variations they produce on musical sequences. The whales of this species produce variations of musical sequences.
3. The reason I think I would rather live in Florida is because of what I read in a travel brochure. (dont use I think) A travel brochure convinced me to live in Florida.
4.Only once is how many times Huck lies to Jim. (cut is how) Huck lies to Jim only once.
5. The value of competition in business and industry is almost invaluable. Competition in business and industry is invaluable.
6. It is a well-known fact that there are too many commercials on T.V. (cut unnecessary words) There are too many commercials on T.V.
7. By using a spectroscope it is possible for many metals to be identified by a laboratory technician. Laboratory technicians identify metals by (Subject/agent)(v) using a spectroscope.
8. A gift shop stood by the waterfall where I bought what was to become my favorite necklace. I bought my favorite necklace in a gift shop near a waterfall.
10. Picking out the proper clothing for the weather is how my mother rose to fame in the household. My mother rose to fame in my household by picking out proper clothing appropriate for the weather.