1. Density altitude rises when temperature _____ and/or the altimeter setting _____. A.Increases; increases B.Increases; decreases C.Decreases; increases D.Decreases; decreases
2. High Density altitude decreases the performance/efficiency of which aircraft components? (select all that apply) A.Engine B.Propeller C.Wing D.Stick Actuator
3. Your departure runway is 2500 long with a 50 obstacle to clear. Field elevation is 3000, the temperature is 30°C, and the terrain requires you to takeoff with a 4 knot tailwind. According to the chart, should you fly or drink an adult beverage? 4/2 x 10% X 2255 + 2255 = 2 x 226 + 2255 = 452 + 2255 = = 26107 = 6775 > 2500 Drink an adult beverage instead.
4. Your approach speed at a sea level airport is 70 knots. What should it be at a field at 5000 elevation? A.More than 70 knots due to changes in air density. B.Less than 70 knots due to changes in air density. C.More or less than 70 knots due to your density. D.70 knots. Approach speed is not adjusted for changes in pressure altitude.
5. You are flying northbound through the canyon below. If the winds are from the west, what is the ideal location for you to fly? A.On the left side of the canyon B.In the center of the canyon C.On the right side of the canyon D.If you are pulling a Hobo (i.e., upside down), do you really know what is right?
6. What is the best technique for approaching a ridgeline that you wish to cross at low altitude? A.Approach the ridgeline at a 90 degree angle. B.Approach the ridgeline at a 45 degree angle. C.Fly nearly parallel to the ridgeline gradually edging over it – like a Folsbury Flop D.No special precautions are necessary.
7. Rotor clouds are associated with severely unstable air, strong winds and turbulence. Which picture below depicts this dangerous mountain flying weather phenomena?
8. What is the most important reason to use supplemental oxygen at night? A.Mental performance is enhanced by the use of supplemental oxygen. B.Supplemental Oxygen lessens the possibility of fatigue at night. C.Night vision is degraded by lack of oxygen in the blood stream. D.No special precautions are necessary.
9. Which of the following are symptoms of hypoxia? A.Tinnitus. B.Behavioral changes. C.Diminished vision. D.Impaired judgment.
10. Why is it difficult to make a tight 180° in the mountains? A.True airspeed decreases with higher density altitude increasing turn radius. B.True airspeed increases with higher density altitude increasing turn radius. C.Turn radius is a function of groundspeed not true airspeed. D.Due to lower partial pressures, mountains inflate at higher density altitudes.
NC06 Elk River Banner Elk, NC Elevation: 3,468 ft (1,057.0 m) Runways: 12/30: 4600X75
PA28-181 N2889P, GW – 2500 lb 10 °C, HW = 10Kts NC06 Elk River Banner Elk, NC Elevation: 3,468 ft (1,057.0 m) Runways: 12/30: 4600X75 N8229P -