6TornadoA severe storm that forms as rapidly rotating funnel cloud.The peak season in Tennessee is March – May
7Tornadoes Formed from Cumulonimbus clouds Only happen in 1% of all thunderstorms.Small, spinning column of air that has high wind speeds and low central pressure and that touches the ground.Formed from Cumulonimbus clouds
8WEIRD SCIENCEPeople have reported seeing “naked” chickens after tornadoes strike rural areas. A likely explanation is that tornadoes cause chickens to shed their feathers, or molt. Chickens often molt when attacked. As the chickens molt, the strong tornadic winds blow their feather off.
9Cool Facts About 75% of the world’s tornadoes occur in the US. Usually a tornado starts off as a white or gray cloud but if it stays around for a while, the dirt and debris it sucks up eventually turns it into black one.The United States have an average of 800 tornadoes every year .A Tornado in Oklahoma once destroyed a whole motel. People later found the motel’s sign in Arkansas.
10Tropical Storms/Hurricanes Low pressure storm with high winds from the ocean
12Hurricanes Large, rotating tropical weather system. It begins as a group of thunderstorms moving over tropical ocean waters.The source of energy is the evaporation of ocean water.As the warm, moist air rises, the water vapor condenses and releases large amounts of energy.Catastrophic hurricane video:
13Cool Facts: Hurricanes are the most powerful storms on Earth. In the Pacific Ocean, Hurricanes are generally known as typhoons. In the Indian Ocean they are called tropical cyclones.Hurricanes are the only weather disasters that have been given their own names.Hurricane season is from June to November when the seas are at their warmest and most humid, which are ripe conditions for a hurricane to develop.
14FrontsThe point where two air masses meetCauses change in weather
15Warm Front Warm air mass Will rise over cool air mass and gradually replaces the cold air.Cause light rain followed by hot humid weather
16Cold Front A cold air mass Cold front will push under warm front Causes severe weather- heavy rains and thunderstormsFollowed by cool weather
17Occluded FrontForms when a warm air mass is caught between two colder air masses.Has cool temperatures and large amounts of rain and snow.
18Stationary FrontForms when a cold air mass meets a warm air mass. Both air masses do not have enough force to life the warm air mass over the cold.Days of cloudy, wet weather.
256. Sharon woke up on a sunny morning and ate breakfast 6. Sharon woke up on a sunny morning and ate breakfast. Then she looked outside and saw tall, quickly-forming clouds. The clouds looked ready to rain. When she turned on the TV, she saw just what she thought--a forecast for sudden rains. What most likely caused the change in weather?
292. Sharon woke up on a sunny morning and ate breakfast 2. Sharon woke up on a sunny morning and ate breakfast. Then she looked outside and saw tall, quickly-forming clouds. The clouds looked ready to rain. When she turned on the TV, she saw just what she thought--a forecast for sudden rains. What most likely caused the change in weather?
303. If the wind was 135 mph what classification of hurricane would it be
314. Which of the following instruments measures air pressure. a 4. Which of the following instruments measures air pressure? a. thermometer b. barometer c. anemometer d. windsock
325. On a summer evening, a barometer reading shows a gradual increase in air pressure. The humidity is 80%. The thermometer reading is slightly increasing. Based on these data, what type of weather should be expected for the next day? WhyClear and Sunny
336. A student observes a clear sky and a temperature reading of 35 Celsius at 8:00 a.m. What is the most likely prediction about the day’s weather?a. the day’s weather will be coldc. the day’s weather will be hotb. the day’s weather will be rainyd. the day’s weather will be snowy
347. A meteorologist used radar to analyze the wind during a storm in the central plains of the United States. The winds were measured at 145 miles per hour and were moving in a circular pattern. According to the data, which event was the meteorologist most likely observing?a. tornadoc. rainbowb. lightning stormd. cloud formation
358. “The weather tonight will be dominated by air movement that is caused by air moving from areas of high to low pressure.” This describes:BlizzardWarm frontTornadoWind
369. “Next week, you can expect this warm air mass to meet this cold air mass over the southern part of the state and bring rain and snow.” This best describes:Cold frontWarm frontOccluded frontStationary front
3710. What type of weather will a warm front bring with it? Cold and sunnyb. Cold and rainyc. Cold and snowyd. Sunny