Presentation on theme: "9. Put Someone in Charge Our assistant managing editor manages the process. Its in his job description. Editors, with input from and writers, select what."— Presentation transcript:
9. Put Someone in Charge Our assistant managing editor manages the process. Its in his job description. Editors, with input from and writers, select what to enter Writers write the blurbs, which need to be creative and really speak to why a story should win. Admin puts it all together
10. Determine the Judging Criteria In the ASBPE Awards of Excellence, editorial entries are judged based on quality of writing, reporting, and editing; development of the subject; presentation; and value to readers. In the Folio contest, you are judged against your mission statement, based on editorial craftsmanship, design innovation, and production qualities. In the Neal Awards, you are judged on your editorial craftsmanship, design, and innovation. Since most of the entries look good and are well edited, innovation separates winners from the pack. The first cut is based on service journalism.
11. Judge the Contest Most of my writers have judged the Neal Awards. They come back fired up. Every year I judge the Folio awards and pick up ideas from other magazines in other industries. Our editors regularly judge the ASBPE awards.
12. Enter Everything-- Often Other editors complain that they cant find time to enter. But the more you enter, the more likely you are to win. Get a budget for entering awards programs. Make sure the whole company knows about it when you win. When you send out the , highlight the work of every writer, editor, and artist that you can. Dont let anyone else within the company write these s for you.
13. Study Other Magazines Share subscriptions with key award-winning magazines in your circulation category. We scour magazines for new story approaches. Study articles and magazines that win awards.
14. Buy a Display Case Our COO bought this two years ago, when he arrived at the company. We walk visitors by it all the time. The top shelf is reserved for recent major awards. It raises the level of competition within the company.