Presentation on theme: "ANDREJSALA: TRANSFORMATION THROUGH TIME Part II. LAND USE On the 31st December 1892, the administration of Rīga created the first committee to decide."— Presentation transcript:
LAND USE On the 31st December 1892, the administration of Rīga created the first committee to decide about the land use of Andrejsala. The body was chaired by deputy mayor K. von Pickardt. The 19th century ended and the land use plan of Andrejsala still wasnt officially signed off. Then, in 1903, the citys authorities passed a temporary regulation on building temporary structures in the area.
Andrejsalas general development plan in 1905 (photographic copy). Source: LNHM. In 1902, Rīgas chief municipal engineer D. von Rennekampf began working on a new land use plan for Andrejsala, which was signed by mayor George Armitstead and several other officials. It focused on building and expanding Andrejsalas warehouses and transport system. Thus in early 1900s there began vast construction works and expansion of the port and the railway.
The Rīga Commercial Ports middle section, from the Railway Bridge to Jaunmīlgrāvis, charted by V. Michaelis in 1913. Source: MHRN.
INTERWAR PERIOD After the 1st World War, Andrejsala continued with the land use plan of 1906. The main focus was on repairing the wartime damage and adapting the existing buildings for further use. The plan laid out in early 1900s was officialised by the Port Construction Directorate in 1919; nine years later, the Maritime Department of the Ministry of Transport signed off its implementation.
The Customs District, Andrejosta and Andrejsala in 1928. Source: MHRN.
During the first independence of Latvia (1918-1940), Andrejsala was part of the Rīga Port and the land was owned by the city. In the 1920s and 30s, Andrejosta continued to be used by tugboats and smaller ships, as well as by the Latvian Yacht Club, which was active until 1940. Est. in 1924, the Latvian Yacht Club operated in Andrejosta (photo of 1927). Source: MHRN.
In the latter half of the 1930s, Andrejosta was used by the Latvian Navy. A new base was built for the submarine flotilla, where for almost a year the two Latvian submarines Ronis and Spīdola, as well as their supporting ship Varonis were stationed. Andrejsala in the 1930s. Source: MHRN.
The Soviet Union invaded Latvia in 1940. After the annexation the Rīga Port was restructured, making Andrejosta and Andrejsala one of the seven port districts. The private companies were transferred to government ownership.
2ND WORLD WAR The German administration used Andrejsala for receiving coal imported from Poland. It exported food via the elevator and the cold storage warehouse. Rīga Ports floating crane in Andrejosta in 1942. Source: MHRN.
The trestle of Andrejsalas coal wharf (1942). Source: MHRN.
Construction of coal bunkers in Andrejsal a (1942). Source: MHRN.
Unloading of coal in Andrejsala in 1942. Source: MHRN.
Outdoor handling of coal in Andrejsala in 1942. Source: MHRN.
Upon its retreat from Rīga in October 1944, the German Army blew up the moorage and buildings in Andrejsala and Andrejosta. The power station and elevator were partly destroyed. The cold storage warehouses had exploded and suffered in a fire. Andrejosta after the wartime explosions in 1944. Source: MHRN.
ANDREJSALA AFTER 2ND WORLD WAR In 1944 and 45, the remnants of the buildings were removed and reconstruction began. The moorages were built anew, by using construction waste as the building material for the embankments. The first mooring of a ship took place in September 1945. Overhead conveyors in the Andreja district (1945). Source: MHRN.
The Rīga power station resumed operation in 1946, and so did Andrejsalas railway branches a year later. The Rīga Ports elevator was back in business in late 1940s. Reconstruction of the Rīga State District Power Station. Source: MHRN.
Scaffolds used in the reconstruction of the power station. Source: MHRN.
German POWs employed in the reconstruction of Andrejsala. Source: MHRN.
Andrejsala and Andrejosta together became known as the Rīga Commercial Sea Ports Andrejosta district, however the term Andreja district (Andreja rajons) was also used. For some reason, in a port reconstruction plan signed off in 1946, the Andreja district was considered lacking a successful perspective. Until mid-1950s, the Andreja district used the warehouses built before the 2nd World War for the handling of freight. The refurbished elevators also resumed operation. The vacant outdoor space was utilised for unloading construction material.
The steam ship Wismar moored near the Rīga Ports elevator (1957). Source: MHRN.
A railway crane and the motor ship Frieden in Andrejsala (1957). Source: MHRN.
The Rīga Commercial Sea Port (1957). Source: MHRN.
A crane operating in Andrejsala in 1957. Source: MHRN.
In 1955, in the gated port district there were five warehouses. After a couple of years another one was built, and two more were added in 1963. In 1955/56, Andrejsala built two communal dwellings for workers. A view from Andrejsala to Eksporta Street. The farther background shows the workers communal dwellings. Source: MHRN.
Andrejsalas only residential building with 12 flats was completed in 1958. Its tenants were employees of the port. A modern view of the residential building in 1a Andrejostas Street. Source: JAU.
By 1977, all Andrejsalas unbuilt outdoor space became paved with tarmac and a loading dock for handling chemical freight began operating. In 1980s, Andrejsalas north part built new office blocks and a laboratory. Passenger ship Baltika at the Rīga Port in early 1960s. Source: MHRN.
Andrejsalas north part in the middle of the 20th century. Source: MHRN.
Andrejsalas north part in late 20th century. Source: MHRN.
Andrejsalas north part in late 20th century. Source: MHRN.
The Soviet administration had all port-related information classified. The public had no access to the citys land use plans. It was possible to use only generalised outline maps of cities, which sometimes contained garbled information. Andrejsala in a 1980 map of Rīga. Source: LNL.
After the restoration of Latvian independence, Andrejsalas role started seeing a major change. Taking example from international experience, the citys authorities decided to remodel the industrial land lots near its centre to achieve greater urban harmony. Andrejosta and Andrejsala in 1986. Source: MHRN.
Rīgas master plan for 1995 to 2005, provided for the transforming of Andrejsala from a gated industrial area into an urban district of a metropolitan and recreational purpose. Rīgas mater plan 1995–2005 included a map detailing the planned and authorised types of land use (fragment).
Historically viewed, Andrejsalas boom-time occurred just before the 1st World War with its rapid economic growth and extensive construction in the area. Several of Andrejsalas major buildings have since disappeared and have been replaced by structures of strictly utilitarian use. This, however, hasnt diminished the districts value as a whole.
Andrejsalas south part in the 1930s. Source: MHRN.
A modern view of Andrejsalas south part. Source: JAU.
A year 2006 decree by the Cabinet of Ministers changed the limits of the area designated as the port district. Thus Andrejsala is now outside the Freeport of Rīga and can start remodelling itself, following the vision of the citys development plan. Rendering of a future Andrejsala by the architect firm Office for Metropolitan Architecture.