Presentation on theme: "DEHYDRATION OF FRUITS AND VEGETABLES 3 rd WORKSHOP April, 2003 Tunis, Tunisia Financial support by the Commission of the European Union under MEDA programme."— Presentation transcript:
DEHYDRATION OF FRUITS AND VEGETABLES 3 rd WORKSHOP April, 2003 Tunis, Tunisia Financial support by the Commission of the European Union under MEDA programme is acknowledged (Thematic Network ICA3-C5-2000-30004) Profª. Mª TERESA SANCHEZ PINEDA DE LAS INFANTAS
826,452 hectares: DRIED FRUIT PRODUCTION: almonds, hazelnuts and walnuts. 792,484 hectares: ALMONDS 26,202 hectares: HAZELNUTS 7,766 hectares: WALNUTS Andalusia: In Granada, Malaga, Almery Comunidad Valencia, Murcia y Catalonia 91% in Catalonia Cantabric Cornice
ALMONDS Spains 2001/02 almond production was around 257,000 tons, a 24-percent increase from the previous season. Exports in 2001/02 was: 48,000 tons. EU countries (Germany, France, and Italy) are the major destinations, representing about 93 percent of Spains export markets. The United States continues to be the dominant foreign supplier of almonds to Spain, increasing its market share to 97 percent of total imports for 2000/01.
ALMONDS EU does have an improvement plan that is implemented in both Spains almond and hazelnut sectors. Up to 475 euro/hectare can be provided to growers to plant improved, higher-yielding varieties. Given competition from U.S. product, Spanish almond growers are expected to oppose the most recent EU proposal for reform of the fruit and vegetable regime, which calls for a significant cut in subsidies.
Catalonia, in the north-east, is the main producing region of Spain and within this region, the province of Tarragona stands out as the largest growing area (27,000 ha), representing 91 % of the total Spanish hazelnut surface. Tarragona's orchards, topographically, can be classified into two groups. Priorat' and 'Camp de Tarragona' The main commercial hazelnut production is obtained from the second area, which is grown mainly under drip irrigation. The hazelnut orchards are mostly familiar and small (2-4 ha). Most growers practice 'part-time agriculture'. The sector is very concentrated around the co-operative UNIO in Reus (Tarragona) and other private industries.The bulk of the hazelnut crop is consumed in shelled form. The confectionery and chocolate industries use about 60-70 % of domestic supplies. Hazelnut is also used for snacks and is often marketed as snack packs. Hazelnut is marketed in Spain throughout the year in competition with almonds, peanuts and other snack foods. In years when almond prices are high, hazelnut demand in the confectionery industry increases. HAZELNUTS
The 2001/02 hazelnut crop in Spain suffered a substantially increase to a record 35,000 tons, more than double last years crop of 16,000 tons. The United States represents about 5 percent of Spains total hazelnut imports and continues to face stiff competition from lower-priced Turkish product, which accounts for 65 percent of Spains imports. All Turkish hazelnut exports to Spain are shelled, while U.S. exports are in-shell. The bulk of the hazelnut crop is consumed in-shell, with the confectionary and chocolate industries consuming 60-70 percent of total supplies.
Reference Periods TURKEYITALYSPAINUSA World Production 1961-65106,60050,60016,4007,640181,240 >1966-70159,40063,50015,0007,940245,840 1971-75234,20087,00018,8009,900349,900 1976-80268,00088,40021,20011,100388,700 1981-85304,00099,00020,60014,300437,900 1986-90376,000104,00027,20016,000523,200 1991-93418,300108,30025,00021,600573,333 1994-95460,00095,00022,00022,750607,000 1995-99527,500100,50012,05027,329667,379 Main producing countries (in tons)
Hazelnut exports and domestic consumption by the main producing countries (in tons, unshelled equivalent). ExportsDomestic consumption Country Average 1983-86 Average 1989-92 Average 1995-99 Average 1983-86 Average 1989-92 Average 1995-99 Turkey 268,450298,376380,75077,30063,00088,000 Italy 67,52073,88053,86038,60063,000110,714 Spain 12,63011,1257,8259,10014,00016,825 USA 5,5006,79418,47410,00016,00021,821 Total 354,100390,175460,910135,000156,000237,360
HAZELNUTS SUBSIDIES: Up to 475 euro/hectare. Given competition from Turkish product, Spanish hazelnut growers consider this program vital to their future competitiveness Hazelnut consumption has increased in the last decades. It is considered that in-shell consumption accounts for only 10 %. The rest is shelled (kernel), but around 90 % are for industrial purposes (obtaining of oil, hazelnut paste, etc. ) and another 10 % for direct human consumption.
3 rd EU PRODUCING COUNTRY 120,000 ha of chestnuts were being grown, mostly in northern and western Spain, producing more than 20,000 t. High prices for processed, peeled, and frozen chestnut products, especially in the U.S. Chestnuts Imports - Qty (Mt) Year 2001 Spain2,749 Chestnuts Imports - Val (1000$) Year 2001 Spain3,001 Chestnuts Exports - Qty (Mt) Year 2001 Spain7,291 Chestnuts Exports - Val (1000$) Year 2001 Spain6,746 CHESTNUTS
They are mainly used for a snack, right out of the shell-roasted, and in confectionary, ice cream preparation and recipes. Pistachios Imports - Qty (Mt) Year 2001 Spain12,689 Pistachios Imports - Val (1000$) Year 2001 Spain38,653 Pistachios Exports - Qty (Mt) Year 2001 Spain593 Pistachios Exports - Val (1000$) Year 2001 Spain1,585 PISTACHIOS
Dry Apricots Imports - Qty (Mt) Year 2001 Spain1,899 Dry Apricots Imports - Val (1000$) Year 2001 Spain1,781 Dry Apricots Exports - Qty (Mt) Year 2001 Spain390 Dry Apricots Exports - Val (1000$) Year 2001 Spain392 They are used in confectionary, pastry making and recipes and are eaten in their natural state. DRY APRICOTS
Regular, year-round supplies. Definition and standardization of product specifications – made to measure. The choice of the best raw material to cover product needs - advice. Selection levels according to different criteria: weight (units per weight), diameter-based calibre, length-based calibre, thickness- based calibre. Excellent quality/price ratio to guarantee competitive positioning. Co-operative relationship, not just buyer-seller relationship. Long-standing supply guarantee. Production capacities guaranteed by HACCP - ISO 9002- ISO 14001- as required in the food industry. Capacity to respond immediately to demand. Modern production plants with the latest technological innovations for the selection and processing of dried fruits. DRIED FRUIT INDUSTRIES
TRADE MARKS AND PRODUCTS The objective of the Borges Group is to become the worlds largest supplier of Mediterranean food products. Its principle action plans include: - Solid commercial export operations. - The creation and management of companies abroad. - The internationalization of marketing and human-resources activities.
TRADE MARKS AND PRODUCTS The Borges company is 100% Spanish owned and has sales of 369.62 million euros. Exports to more than 70 countries and this activity represents 52% of sales (195.33 million euros). 530 employees work for the Group abroad, representing 44% of the Group. 48 completely Spanish-owned companies that operate at all levels of the value chain. the Spanish market leaders in the marketing of packaged nuts and dried fruit. The worlds leading walnut supplier. Spains leading nut exporter.
INSTITUTIONAL SUPPORT TO THE DRYING INDUSTY DESIGNATION OF ORIGIN HAZELNUTS of REUS RAISINS OF MALAGA
Price: Dried fruits in Spain: 4.33 kg. Price rates: Aragon 3.64 kg and Navarre 5.14 kg. DRIED FRUIT CONSUMPTION IN SPAIN 2.32 kg/person-year. Catalonia: 3.8 kg/person-year; Extremadura: 1.33 kg/person-year Catalonia: Almonds (0.48 kg/person-year), walnuts (0.85 kg/person-year) and others dried fruits (2.16 kg/person-year). La Rioja: Almonds 0.05 kg/person-year, and walnuts 0.20 kg/person-year).
DRIED FRUITS REGULATIONS 2002/679/EC: Commission Decision of 22 August 2002 amending Decision 2002/80/EC imposing special conditions on the import of figs, hazelnuts and pistachios and certain products derived thereof originating in or consigned from Turkey (Text with EEA relevance) (notified under document number C(2002) 3109) Commission Regulation (EC) No 1441/2002 of 7 August 2002 fixing for the 2002/03 marketing year the amount of aid for the cultivation of grapes intended for the production of certain varieties of dried grapes. Commission Regulation (EC) No 961/2002 of 5 June 2002 fixing the storage aid for unprocessed dried grapes and unprocessed dried figs from the 2001/02 marketing year. Commission Regulation (EC) No 175/2001 of 26 January 2001 laying down the marketing standard for walnuts in shell. Commission Regulation (EC) No 464/1999 of 3 March 1999 laying down detailed rules for the application of Council Regulation (EC) No 2201/96 as regards aid arrangements for prunes. Commission Regulation (EC) No 1905/94 of 27 July 1994 on detailed rules for the application of Council Regulation (EC) No 399/94 concerning specific measures for dried grapes. DESIGNATION OF ORIGIN: ORDEN de 6 de noviembre de 1996, por la que se aprueba el Reglamento de la Denominación de Origen Pasas de Málaga y de su Consejo Regulador. BOJA 135. 23 de Noviembre de 1996. OM 05/02/97 (B.O.E. 21/02/97) por la que se aprueba el Reglamento de la Denominación de Origen Avellana de Reus y de su Consejo Regulador.
DEHYDRATION OF FRUITS AND VEGETABLES 3 rd WORKSHOP April, 2003 Tunis, Tunisia Financial support by the Commission of the European Union under MEDA programme is acknowledged (Thematic Network ICA3-C5-2000-30004) Profª. Mª TERESA SANCHEZ PINEDA DE LAS INFANTAS THANK YOU VERY MUCH