Now match some of the words with their definitions. bike boat coach helicopter motorbike taxi trolleybus truck underground bus 1. Its a bus used for long distances. 2. Its got two wheels and its fast. coach motorbike
3. This bus is connected to the electric wires. 4. You must pay to use this car. 5. This is a suburban railway. Its usually under the city. 6. Its slow, cheap and has two wheels. taxi underground bike trolleybus
Match the words in the box with their meanings. 1. to go from one place to another get around passenger 2. a person who uses public transport cab destination fare get around passenger receipt return (n) route rush hour seat single (n) permit (n)
3. (a ticket for) a two-way journey 4. the road the public transport service uses regularly 5. the busiest time of day 6. the price of a ticket 7. (a ticket for) a one-way journey 8. the place you want to go to return route rush hour fare single destination
9. a document which shows you have paid for something 10. a place to sit 11. another word for taxi 12. a document which gives you the right to do something receipt seat cab permit
Listen to the tape and find what means of transportation are mentioned in the passage.
Read the text carefully and answer the questions: 1. How easy is it to find a taxi in Beijing? 2. What color are most taxis? 3. Whats the problem with buses? Raise your hand, and a taxi appears in no time. Theyre red. Theyre often very crowded.
4. Which is the best bus for tourists? 5. How many people can get in a minibus? 6. What are the advantages of the underground? The 103 bus. 12 people. Its fast and convenient.
7. When does it close at night? 8. What can you visit in a pedicab? It closes at 11:00 pm. The narrow alleys of old Beijing. Read the text carefully again and choose the best answers.
1. The rush hour means _____. A. 6:00 am - 8:00 am and 5:00 pm - 6:30 pm B. 6:30 am - 8:00 am and 5:00 pm - 6:30 pm C. 6:00 am - 8:30 am and 5:00 pm - 6:00 pm D. 6:00 am - 9:00 am and 5:30 pm - 6:30 pm B
2. If you want to have a good view of the rapidly changing city, you should take _____. A. a taxi B. a minibus C. a double-decker bus D. a pedicab C
3. If you want to get a seat even in rush hours, you should take _____. A. a taxi B. a minibus C. a double-decker bus D. a pedicab B
4. If you want to see the Forbidden City and the White Pagoda in Beihai Park, youd better take _____. A. buses numbered 1 to 100 B. the 103 bus C. buses with a number in the 200s D. a taxi B
1. Taxis usually show the price per kilometre on the window. 2. Buses numbered 1 to 100 are limited to travel outside the city. 3. You can get on a minibus if you dont want to take a taxi or a bus. 4. You have to pay 3 yuan for a one-way ticket. 5. Pedicabs in Beijing are cheap to take. T F T T F within the city centre expensive
…… be connected to in no time get around under construction keep calm switch off
Write this short passage on your exercise book and hand it in.