Presentation on theme: "Technical Advice from Architectural Services Department"— Presentation transcript:
1Technical Advice from Architectural Services Department
2Processing of Applications Consultant Appointment after Budget Approval
3I. Processing of Applications 1. Steps of Processing 2. Drawings and Estimates 3. Common Problems
4Five Steps of Processing Step 1: Preliminary Assessment Step 2: Arrangement for Joint Site Inspection Step 3: Joint Site Inspection Step 4: Budgetary Assessment Step 5: Differences/Objections from Schools
5Step 1: Preliminary Assessment EDB to complete Initial Screening.EDB to forward to ArchSD the DSS applications in batches.ArchSD to advise EDB of preliminary assessment.
6Step 2: Arrangement for Joint Site Inspection EDB to arrange joint site inspection upon receipt of ArchSD’s preliminary assessment.Outstanding information to be provided by the school 3 days prior to the joint site inspection.
7Step 3: Joint Site Inspection EDB to lead the joint inspection and decide on supportability of items as required.Schools’ representative to answer queries raised during site walk and provide further information immediately afterwards.
8Step 4: Budgetary Assessment by ArchSD Based on the available information from schools and policy decision on supportability of items from EDB, ArchSD to proceed with detailed budgetary assessment.ArchSD to report on the technically supported amount to EDB.
9Step 5: Differences/ Objections from Schools Schools to provide justification/ substantiation in respect of each disputed item within reasonable time after receipt of EDB’s advice.EDB/ ArchSD to further assess and decide on the final supportable level.ArchSD to complete within reasonable time.May repeat the above process once more, where necessary, as the final round.
10Drawings and Estimates Drawings for each application item:Layout plans with dimensions and locationLayout plans to scaleHighlight changes on plans
11EstimatesDetails of the proposed works items should be clear and sufficient to facilitate cost estimatesARCHITECTURAL SERVICES DEPARTMENT SUBVENTED PROJECTS DIVISION Estimate for DSS Major Repair Works (Building Work)Item No.Details of Works Items (description, locations, etc.)Work TypeJustificationQtyUnitRateApplied AmountTo be completed by EDB/ArchSDSupported Amount ($)Sub-total ($)Remarks(1)Waterproofing works for main roof, roof and upper roof floor (remedial and improvement):1.1Demolition of existing roof finishes and waterproofing membrane1Sup.1.2Cement sand screeding to fall1.3Laying of new waterproofing membrane1.4Laying of new polystrene insulation board1.5Paving of new roof tiles1.6Pond testSumSub-total and carried to summary
12Common problems Unclear or ambiguous description of the scope of works Estimates combined into a lump sum without relevant breakdowns
13Inclusion of non/above-standard items Inclusion of furniture and equipment (F & E) itemsSlope repair works
141. Unclear or ambiguous description of the scope of works Example:Arch SD’s comment:Layout plan with indication of the exact locations of the air-conditioner and detailed work scope (e.g. the cooling capacity and type of air-conditioner) should be provided.DescriptionUnitUnit RateAmountReplacement of existing air-conditioners in the Offices5nos$4,100$20,500
15Proper Submission: Description Unit Unit Rate Amount 3nos $4,500 Provide clear description of the scope of worksDescriptionUnitUnit RateAmount(i)To replace the existing air-conditioners in the Staff Room on 2/F with window type A/C units (cooling only with cooling c/w all necessary supports, condensate drip pan, power supply connection and condensate drain pipe connected to nearest drain3nos$4,500$13,500
16Proper Submission:Provide clear description of the scope of works (cont’d)DescriptionUnitUnit RateAmount(ii)To replace the existing air-conditioners in the General Office on G/F with window type A/C units (cooling only with cooling c/w all necessary supports, condensate drip pan, power supply connection and condensate drain pipe connected to nearest drain2nos$3,500$7,000Total$20,500
17Submit relevant layout plans to indicate locations of the air-conditioners.
182. Estimates combined into a lump sum without relevant breakdown Example:Arch SD’s comment:Schools/AP should provide the cost breakdown for waterproof coat.DescriptionUnitUnit RateAmountApplication of roof waterproof coat1sum$890,000
19Proper Submission:Schools should provide roof warranty to show expiry of guarantee period.
20Example: Description Unit Unit Rate Amount Remarks Demolition of existing roof finishes and waterproofing membrane1000 m2$150$150,000Water seepage and weathering of roof-top.Cement sand screeding to fall$200$200,000Laying of new waterproofing membrane$250$250,000Laying of new polystrene insulation board$100$100,000Paving of new roof tiles$180$180,000Pond test1 sum$10000$10,000Total$890,000
213. Inclusion of non/above-standard items Examples:CCTV System;Air-conditioning system/units in Dining Hall, etc.Proper Submissions:Schools should follow the standard provision according to EDB’s requirements
224. Inclusion of furniture and equipment ( F&E) items Examples:Audio/ Visual equipment;LAN cable and computing equipment;Overhead projector, etc.Proper Submission:F&E items should not be included in the works.
24DSS Application for non-recurrent assistance – Slope Repairs (SR)
25Types of Works Not Supported under Non-recurrent Assistance Routine slope maintenance works (e.g. Repair cracked / damaged chunam / shotcrete surface, remove unplanned vegetations, clearance of blocked drainage channels / catchpits, repair damaged channels / catchpits, clear blocked weepholes in retaining walls etc.)Engineer Inspection (EI) of slopes / retaining walls located within school boundaries to be carried out by Registered Geotechnical EngineersTypes of Works Not Supported under Non-recurrent Assistance
26Types of Works / Studies Supported under Non-recurrent Assistance Stability Assessment by Registered Geotechnical Engineer + Slope stabilization worksPreventive maintenance worksSoil slopes – improved surface protection on slope and upslope, surface drainage channels, subsoil drainage, soil nails etc.Rock slopes – concrete buttress, rock dowels, steel wire meshes, scaling or dentition etc.Types of Works / Studies Supported under Non-recurrent Assistance
27II. Consultant Appointment after Budget Approval Procedures for Consultant SelectionNumber of TenderersList of TenderersExpression of Interest (EOI)Consultant’s Invitation DocumentEvaluation of Consultant’s Proposal
281. Procedures for Consultant Selection Guidelines on Consultant Selection for Architectural and Associated Consultancy ServicesGuidelines on Consultant Selection for Quantity Surveying Consultancy Services
292. Number of TenderersInvite at least 5 consultants of appropriate bandIf less than 3 valid tender returns are received, the tender exercise is abortive.Therefore, schools preferably invite 6-8 consultants
303. List of TenderersFrom the list of approved Architectural and Associated ConsultantsIf estimated fee more than HK 1.43 million > Band 1If estimated fee not more than HK $1.43 million > Band 2 and Band 3
31Website: http://www. archsd. gov Website: > Consultants & Contractors >(a) List of Consultants of AACSB OR (b) List of Band 3 Architectural Consultants(a) List of Consultants of AACSB >Who have been included? >Choose: Category: “Architectural Category/ Quantity Surveying Category”; and Band: “Band 1/ Band 2” >Search
32(b) List of Band 3 Architectural Consultants >Yes and Proceed >(1)The Associated of Architectural Practices (AAP) and (2) The Hong Kong Institute of Architects (HKIA)
334. Expression of Interest (EOI) To ensure obtaining 6-8 consultant’s proposals, EOI should be carried out.Invitation letter >Scope of the Works >Estimate Cost of the Works >Period of Time for ServicesSample for reference
375. Consultant’s Invitation Document Refer to Guidelines > “NGO Note” in blue colourTechnical and Fee Proposal >Appendix 4 for Technical proposalFee Proposal Only (Annex I) >(optional) for estimated fee not more than HK $1.43 million
386. Evaluation of Consultant’s Proposal Technical Assessment and ApprovalCommence Technical and Fee Assessment after EDB’s Approval of Technical Assessment