Presentation on theme: "Warsaw (Warszawa in Polish) is the capital of Poland and it is the largest city of the country. It is situated on the Vistola. There are many intersting."— Presentation transcript:
Warsaw (Warszawa in Polish) is the capital of Poland and it is the largest city of the country. It is situated on the Vistola. There are many intersting sites to visit in Warsaw: the Parliament, the Pałac Kultury i Nauki (palazzo della cultura), the Sinagogue, the Uprising Museum, the Royal Castle and the Citadel, the Mermaid, Lazienski park with the monument of Chopin, the Palace of WilanowWarszawa
This palace was given to Poland by the Soviet Union and it is the highest bulding in Poland (it is 231meter high) and it has 42 floors. In 1952 the Russians started the construction and in 1955 the palace was ready but 16 worker had died in accidents during the construction.
This museum is dedicated to the heroic courage of the inhabitants of Warsaw – in memory of the uprising against the Nazi regime in 1944, which resulted in the destruction of large parts of the town and its treasures. It was opened in 2004 for the 60° anniversary of the uprising. The museum uses multi- media technology for the documentation and genuine illustration of past events.
Wilanow Palace is a royal palace located in the Wilanow district. It survived the time of Polands partitions and both World Wars and has preserved its authentic historical qualities. The palace is not only a testimony to the splendour of Poland in the past but also a palace for cultural events and concerts. It was inspired by Italian art during the Reinassance.
It is a science museum standing on the bank of the Vistula River in Warsaw. It contains over 450 interactive exhibits that enable visitors to carry out experiments and discover the laws of science for themselves. The Centre is the largest institution of this type in Poland and one of the most advanced in Europe.
The synagogue was designed by Karol Kozlowski. It was erected between the 1899 and 1902. After the death of Zelmons wife in 1914, the Jewish comunity of Warsaw inhereted this synagogue. Today it is an important center of the Hebrew culture. Warsaws ghetto was the largest in Europe and it was separeted from the rest of the city by a wall. The Jewish cemetery is situated in Wola. Since 1806 members of the Jewish comunity of Polands capital have been buried here.
Lazienki park was created in 1918 and it is the largest park in Warsaw. It was designed in the 17° century by Tylman van Gomeren. Its principal building is Stanislaw Augusts palace, which is situeted on the artificial lake, in fact is known as the «palace on the water». It was built in 17° century by Tylman van Gameren, but between 1772 and 1793 it was remodeled by Domenico Merlini for king Stanislaw August Paniatowski, who made it his residence. The building is dominated by an attika supported by columns and statues of mythological figures.
In Lazienki park there is a roman Amphitheatre, which was built in 1790-93. Its wall is embellished with sixteen statues representing famous poets of the past. The park is also home of Chopins statue, a monument to Frederic Chopin, which has become one of Warsaws iconic images.
The Royal Castle was the official residence of the Polish monarchs and it's situated at the entrance of the Old Town. This building was devasted by Germans, Swedish, Russians and Nazis, so after the uprising in 1944 it was rebuilt and in 1980 it was registred as one of the UNESCO World Heritage sites. In front of the façade of the Castle, in the centre of the square, arises the column dedicated to the king Sigismund III (which was created by two Italian architects). Nowadays the castle is still the symbol of Warsaw.
The Old Town is the oldest historic district of Warsaw. It is full of typical restaurants, shops, cafes and squares. The Old Town evolves around the Old Market Square, where the merchants met and sometimes executions were held. In the centre of the square there's a fountain with a bronze statue of a Mermaid, who is the protector of the city. A legend says that a mermaid who was swimming in the river Vistula, tired for her long journey, decided to rest in this square, but she was so enraptured by the beauty of the place that she wanted to stay there forever. The red houses in this district are in the Renaissance style.
Created by: Elisa Regini, Valentina Buglioni, Alice Scatarzi and Sara Traccitto from Liceo Aristotele in Rome