Presentation on theme: "YOU WILL SURVIVE! Tips on Teaching with Songs. www.transparent.com."— Presentation transcript:
YOU WILL SURVIVE! Tips on Teaching with Songs
1. Crossword Puzzle At ___ (1) I was afraid, I was pretrified Kept thinking I ___ (2) never live without you by my side But then I spent so many ___ (3), thinking how you did me ____ (4) I grew strong, I learned how to get along , second, third, fourth 2 – Past tense of “can” 3 – Part of the day when it’s dark (plural) 4 – If you’re not right, you’re...
Work individually or in pairs. Hand out the activity sheet. Set time. Students try to find out what the words are. (Dictionaries allowed.) Play the song. (once) Students correct in pairs or groups (teacher helps). Play song again. And sing! (or not!)
2. The !
“Mark, I have to tell you something and if I don’t I think I’ll die. At first I was afraid, really, I was petrified. I kept thinking that I could never, ever, live without you by my side. I spent so many nights thinking how you did me wrong. I grew strong and, it was not easy, but I learned how to get along. It was hard and it took all the strength I had so I wouldn’t to fall apart. Don’t think I’m a drama queen, but I tried very hard to mend the pieces of my broken heart...”
Pre-reading activities (discussion? pre-teach vocabulary?) Questions after reading the 1.How do you think the person who wrote this e- is feeling? / etc Play song / video. Post-reading/listening – discussion? writing? Optional: provide full lyrics.
3. Translation And so you're … (1) from outer space. I just walked in to find you … (2) With that … (3) look upon your face. I should've changed that stupid … (4), I should've made you … (5) your … (6), If I had known, for just one … (7), You'd be back to … (8) me. aqui – chave – de volta – deixar – fechadura – incomodar – segundo – triste
Use for words / expressions you’d like to review. Have students try and fill in the blanks with the words from the list using the context. Play the song. Students corrent in pairs or group. Read the lyrics and provide the right answer. Play the song again Follow-up: ?
At first, I was afraid ( ) I was petrified. ( ) Kept thinkin' I could never live ( ) Without you by my side, ( ) But then I spent so many nights ( ) Thinkin' how you did me wrong. ( ) And I grew strong ( ) And I learned how to get along. ( ) a – Sem você do meu lado b – E eu fiquei forte c – No início, eu estava com medo d – Mas então passei tantas noites e – Pensando no quanto você me fez mal f – Eu estava apavorada g – Ficava pensando que não poderia viver h – E eu aprendi a me virar
At first, I was afraid, I was petrified. Kept thinkin' I could never live without you by my side. But then I spent so many nights thinkin' how you did me wrong. And I grew strong. And I learned how to get along. No início, estava ___ (1), eu estava apavorada. Ficava ___ (2) que não poderia viver sem você do meu ___ (3). Mas então passei ___ (4) noites pensando no quanto você me fez ___ (5). Eu fiquei forte e ___ (6) a me virar.
4. Grammar Simple Past Tense At first, I … (be) afraid, I … (be) petrified. … (keep) thinkin' I … (can) never live Without you by my side, But then I … (spend) so many nights Thinkin' how you … (do) me wrong. And I … (grow) strong And I … (learn) how to get along.
Aim: practice past tense forms Ask students to read the lyrics and provide the correct simple past form of the verbs in parentheses. Play the song. Students check answers in pairs / groups. Teacher plays the song again and stops at each past tense form. Provides right answers when necessary. Post-listening. Ask information questions using the verbs in the song.
Because You Loved Me – Céline Dion For all those times you stood by me. For all the truth that you made me see. For all the joy you brought to my life. For all the wrong that you made right. For every dream you made come true. For all the love I found in you I'll be forever thankful baby. You're the one who held me up. Never let me fall. You're the one who saw me through, through it all.
Luiz Otávio’s ELT Page
At first, I was afraid, I was petrified. Kept thinkin' I could never live without you by my side, But then I spent so many nights Thinkin' how you did me wrong. And I grew strong, and I learned how to get along. And so you're back from outer space. I just walked in to find you here with that sad look upon your face. I should've changed that stupid lock, I should've made you leave your key If I had known, for just one second, you'd be back to bother me.
6. What’s wrong? And so I’m back from outer space. I just walked out to find you here With that happy look upon your face. I should've changed that smart lock, I should've made you leave your car, If I had known, for just one minute, You'd be back to love me.
Choose medium-paced songs. One “wrong” word in every sentence or two sentences. Make sure students know the words and expressions they are about to listen to. Follow-up: ?
7. Using pictures – What’s the song?
I used to rule the world Seas would rise when I gave the word Now in the morning I sleep alone Sweep the streets I used to own I used to roll the dice Feel the fear in my enemy's eyes Listened as the crowd would sing "Now the old king is dead! Long live the king!"
Students read the lyrics beforehand. Scramble pictures so students listen to the song and put them in order as they listen to the word/expression. Work with word combinations rule the world, seas rise, sweep streets, roll the dice, crowd sing, long live the king Follow-up: speaking /writing activities using pictures.