Presentation on theme: "How would you like to pay?. You pay people (no preposition) He didn't even offer to pay me for the ticket. The court ordered Samuels to pay Heather more."— Presentation transcript:
How would you like to pay?
You pay people (no preposition) He didn't even offer to pay me for the ticket. The court ordered Samuels to pay Heather more than $300,000. Ray paid some kids to wash the car.
You pay for things in general Mum paid ______ my driving lessons. He paid ______ the beer he'd left untouched on the bar and headed at an easy stroll toward the corner table. The city paid ______ the man's funeral, plus $6,000 for pain and suffering. for for for
But you pay the bill/tax/rent (no preposition) I forgot to pay the gas bill! You pay tax at the basic rate. Is it okay if I pay the rent next week?
You pay (in) cash You'd get a discount for paying ______ cash. Reagor recently paid _____cash for a used car. I wouldn't be surprised if he paid ______ cash with bills he pulled out of his sock drawer. Ø Ø in
You pay in dollars/euros etc. He wanted to be paid ______ dollars. Gisele Bundchen demands to be paid _____ euros. Tuition Fees must be paid _____ pounds sterling. in in in
You pay by cheque/credit card Can I pay ______ credit card? And in cases where automatic payments are not appropriate, you can always pay ______ check If you pay ______ check or money order, make it out to United States Treasury. You know, if you paid _______ credit card or check, obviously, that could be traced back to you immediately. by by by by
Summing up You pay people (no preposition) You pay for things in general But you pay the bill/tax/rent (no preposition) You pay (in) cash You pay in dollars/euros etc. You pay by cheque/credit card
Fill in the gaps with a preposition when necessary 1. Americans living in Europe but being paid ……. dollars feel as if they've taken a big pay cut. 2. Users and sellers would have to be persuaded to pay …… the tax.
3. Anton's mother had been working as the cleaning lady at his summer house for almost a year now, and he paid her …… dollars, not rubles. 4. Brenna's grandmother paid ……. the trip with what would have been Brenna's college money.
5. He foolishly agreed to pay ……. Daniel the outrageous sum of fifteen thousand dollars to represent him in court. 6. How do we pay …… the meal? 7. I never paid ……. the book. I stole it.
8. Owen paid ……. the bill and drove her home. 9. I paid …… my latte and dropped a $5 bill into the tip cup. 10. I paid …… her $5 to cut the grass.
11. I paid …… him to say that. 12. You've already paid …… the tax during your working life. 13. I'll pay ……. the ticket and you pick it up at the counter at the airport.
14. She paid …….the bill, and they left the restaurant, full but dissatisfied. 15. Last fall, they took the whole family to Disney World-and paid ……. cash. 16. People usually pay ……. credit card.
17. Ruthie always paid ……. cash, of course, so there would be no taxes. 18. Sam paid ……..the bill and left a tip big enough to make the bartender grin. 19. The guy paid …… me $150,000 …… cash up front.
20. When we paid …….. dollars, we paid …… good dollars. Those dollars aren't what they were. 21. Will Simon go away if we pay …… him ……. pounds? 23. Our day jobs just paid …… the rent.
24. I'll pay …….. the ticket, I'll pay ……. everything. 25. The defendants paid …….. cash the balance of £ His client has not yet paid…… us.