Presentation on theme: "How to Cope with Stress the HEALTHY way!. 1. Dont let stress take over! Some stress is good – it can keep you motivated and focused. But too much stress."— Presentation transcript:
1. Dont let stress take over! Some stress is good – it can keep you motivated and focused. But too much stress can negatively affect you. Sometimes people try to deal with stress by doing things that make it worse – like using alcohol, tobacco and other drugs.
2. Identify your stressors Some stressors might include: – Being busy – Not getting enough sleep – Pressure from school or work – Family problems – Trouble with friends or a boyfriend/girlfriend – Struggles with personal identity – Financial struggles
3. Recognize the signs of stress. Some signs of too much stress include: – Feeling anxious, nervous or tired – Difficulty concentrating – Forgetfulness – Getting sick more than usual – Feeling depressed or overwhelmed
4. Identify what you can control – and what you cant. Some things that cause stress are easy to change Ask yourself: Is this important to me? – If its not important – forget about it! Ask yourself: Can I control this? – If you cant control it, why worry? – Can you change the situation somehow so that you can control it?
5. Slow down and take time for yourself! Having too much to do is a huge cause of stress. – Consider cutting things out of your schedule – Eliminate time zappers like Facebook/Twitter – Be okay with saying no Do things that you enjoy and help you relax Spend some time by yourself
6. Get stress-free with UHC! The University Health Center has a lot of FREE resources that can help you learn to cope with your stress. – Relaxation training – Wellness Coaching – Meditation – Referrals for Mental Health/Counseling Center (fees may apply)
Want more information or to make an appointment? – Website: http://www.health.umd.edu/wellness – Email: firstname.lastname@example.org – Phone: 301.314.1493 – Drop in: Health Promotion – Ground floor of the University Health Center