Presentation on theme: "Even The Rain: Using Film To Teach About Water, Media and Human Rights"— Presentation transcript:
1Even The Rain: Using Film To Teach About Water, Media and Human Rights Nicky KoschmannEducation Outreach CoordinatorEinaudi Center for International Studies
2Questions to ask about any media text: Who made it? (Who paid for it?)Who is the target audience?What is the content?What is the form?What is the message?What else do we need to know?
31. Who made Even The Rain?Icíar Bollaín – Director Paul Laverty – Screenwriter Juan Gordon – Producer
42. Who is the target audience? Audience is primarily European, AmericanReporter: How was the reaction to the film in Bolivia?IB: Unfortunately, they haven’t seen it yet. We want to bring it over, and we have been screening the film for Bolivians who live in Spain and they were very pleased. The Bolivian Ambassador was moved and very emotional because this was a very important part of Bolivian history.
53. What is the content? Columbus’ discovery of the new world Story of the Dominican friar, MontesinoFilmmakers making a film in BoliviaBolivian water wars of 2000Friendship between a Bolivian Indian water activist and a Spanish film producer
64. What is the form? (Or how is the content conveyed?) Film within a film structure allows the parallel stories to be told and the comparison of contemporary oppression of Indians in Bolivia to be compared to historic oppression by colonialismVisual strategyAudio strategy
75. What is the message?Oppression of Indians in Latin America is still going onHow Indians are represented in filmsFilm industry contributes to the oppressionWater rights are part of a continuous struggle for many people in the world
9What are the details of the Bolivian water wars? wars-and-change-from-below-david-solnit-reports-back-on-bolivia/
10How are Native people represented in contemporary media. Why
117. Supplement with other media (but ask the same questions of each) Current Chilean protests against water privatization: P9G_SUdLBni0DA&index=3Current protests in Rome:P9G_SUdLBni0DAb media collective: Water Is Life:9G_SUdLBni0DAReconsider Columbus Day