8The idea of reflexives in English: In Spanish, we use reflexive verbs when we want to say someone does something to, at, or for oneself. The reflexive verbs in Spanish require a reflexive pronoun that will refer to the person doing the action.The idea of reflexives in English:I do to, at, for me/myselfWe do to, at, for ourselvesYou do to, at, for you / yourselfxHe she you (f) does to, at, for himself/herself/yourself (f)They do/all of you do to, at, for themselves/all of yourselves
9The reflexive pronouns: menostexseNote: LE and LES are not reflexive! Those are used when you are doing /giving something to someone ELSE
10Andrés se lastimó. = Andrés hurt himself. Me desperté a las siete y media. = I woke up at seven thirty.*With reflexive verbs, there are two things that always match: What is the rule?*The ________________ and the verb _____________ always match.
11Put the reflexive pronoun BEFORE the conjugated verb: ¿Cuándo se levantó Marcos? = When did Marcos get up?Put the reflexive pronoun AFTER the infinitive (attached).No debes preocuparte. = You shouldn’t worry.
12IF you have 2 verbs, you have 2 ways to say a sentence using a reflexive pronoun! Before the conjugated verb ORAttached to the infinitive
13-If you want to sound more like a native speaker, you can put the reflexive pronoun before the conjugated verb if there is an infinitive later in the sentence:Por ejemplo:No te debes preocupar. =You shouldn’t worry (yourself).¿Cuándo se va a bañar? =When is she going to bathe (herself)?
14Tú / bañarse a las ocho _________________________________ Pedro y Manuel / compartirse mucho______________________________3.Lola y yo / ir a saludarse __________________________
154. Sara dedicated herself to her studies _____________________________ 5. I am excited at the start of class ________________________________ 6. You want to apologize to your best friend _______________________________________
16Nonreflexively:Reflexive: Me desperté a las diez hoy. = I woke up at ten today. Nonreflexive: Le desperté a mi hermanito a las diez hoy. = I woke up my little brother at ten today.
171. She gets dressed every __________________________________________ 2 1. She gets dressed every __________________________________________ 2. Benjamín washed his face. _____________________________________ 3. Isabel dried her hair. (secarse) __________________________________ 4. Paco got really bored. ________________________________________
185. Andrea has sat on the chair. ___________________________________ 6 5. Andrea has sat on the chair. ___________________________________ 6. Máximo bathed the cat yesterday. ____________________________ 7. Liliana has complained a lot. ________________________________
1912. The students had opposed the idea 12. The students had opposed the idea. ___________________________________ 13. We had washed our hair at our grandparents’ house. ______________________________________________________________________
20Reflexives for “each other / one another” In Spanish, we can also use reflexive verbs to express the idea of “each other” or “one another.”*English fact:“each other” can only refer to two people =You and I help each other.“one another” refers to three or more = The students in the class share with one another.
21Kike y yo nos conocemos muy bien. = Kike and I know each other very well.Mis hermanitos se pelean mucho. =My little brothers fight with each other a lot.Los amigos deben ayudarse =Friends should help one another.
22*With reflexive verbs used reciprocally, you will always have a plural ending, because you are referring to more than one person. (each other/ one another).
23Examples: SaludarseMauricio y Mariana se saludaron. =Mauricio and Mariana said hello.(The “to each other” is implied but not stated)Mauricio y Mariana se saludaron el uno a la otra (Mauricio and Mariana said hello to each other. Directly, “el uno a la otra” means “he to her,” or “the one to the other”
241. Catalina y Margarita /perdonarse ______________________________________ 2. Roberto / quejarse ______________________________3. Raquel y Ana / llevarse bien _____________________________4. Liliana y Benjamín / pelearse mucho ________________________________
255. The friends forgave each other at the end of the movie 5. The friends forgave each other at the end of the movie. ______________________________________________________________________ 6. Manuel and Pedro secretly hate each other (en secreto). 7. Melía and Carmía greet each other. ________________________________________________________________________
268. A happy family supports (one another) 8. A happy family supports (one another). _______________________________________________________________ 9. Liliana and Pedro phone each other often / frequently. _________________________________________________________________ 10. Lola and Sarita tell one another gossip every day. ______________________________________________________
2711. Karlita and Selena get along well 11. Karlita and Selena get along well. _______________________________________________________ 12. Sofía and Eva help each other. _________________________________________________________
281. Britney Spears has to fix her hair (peinarse) 1. Britney Spears has to fix her hair (peinarse). _______________________________________________________________ 2. Lil Wayne regrets having a gun. (arrepentirse, e ie) 3. I brush my teeth every day. ________________________________________________________________
294. You wash your hands with soap before eating 4. You wash your hands with soap before eating. __________________________________________________________________ 5. We wake up at the same time! Have you stretched yet? _______________________________________________________________________________________ 6. Ismael washes the dog. ____________________________________________________________
307. The student got bored from being at school. He left. (irse) __________________________________________________________8.I wake up the baby in order to play with her._________________________________________________________________9.The students and I wanted to relax today. ______________________________________________ OR ______________________________________________________
31A personal:We visit our grandparents Visitamos _______________________________I really love my friends.Quiero mucho _______________________________Selena gave her parents a gift.Selena _______________________________
32Se impersonal:In Spanish, we can use the pronoun “se” in order to avoid specifying the person who is doing the action of the verb.For example:Se vende casa = House for sale.Se aquila apartamento = Apartment for rent.
33In these expressions, you are indicating that SOMEONE is selling a house or renting an apartment, but that you either don’t know who the person is or you are choosing not to identify him or her.
34The Spanish reflexives can be used for both of these cases. When you use se, the verb is always in the third person. It could be either the he/she form or the they form.
35~If the noun that follows the verb is singular, the verb is in the él/ella/usted form: Aquí se habla español = Spanish is spoken here.A. How would you say, Guitar for sale = ___________________________How do you (does one) turn off the vacuum cleaner? = _____________________________________________
36~If the noun that follows the verb is plural, you use the ellos/ellas/ustedes form of the verb. Aquí se reparan carros = Cars are repaired here.B. How would you say, Books for sale = ___________________________
37You can use this construction with se in all tenses. For example:Se hizo mucho = A lot was done. (a type of passive voice)Se había hecho mucho = A lot has been done.Se hará mucho = A lot will be done.How would you say, “Strange things (cosas raras) were said = _________________________________
38The taxes (los impuestos) are paid on Mondays How does one say “ice cream?” in English? _________________________________________________________________They serve spicy food at this Mexican restaurant. (Spicy food is served)__________________________________________________________4.Credit cards (tarjetas de crédito) are not accepted here.__________________________________________