In Spanish, we use reflexive verbs when we want to say someone does something to, at, or for oneself. The reflexive verbs in Spanish require a reflexive pronoun that will refer to the person doing the action. The idea of reflexives in English: I do to, at, for me/myself We do to, at, for ourselves You do to, at, for you / yourself x He she you (f) does to, at, for himself/herself/yourself (f) They do/all of you do to, at, for themselves/all of yourselves
The reflexive pronouns: menos tex se Note: LE and LES are not reflexive! Those are used when you are doing /giving something to someone ELSE
Andrés se lastimó. = Andrés hurt himself. Me desperté a las siete y media. = I woke up at seven thirty. *With reflexive verbs, there are two things that always match: What is the rule? *The ________________ and the verb _____________ always match.
Put the reflexive pronoun BEFORE the conjugated verb: ¿Cuándo se levantó Marcos? = When did Marcos get up? Put the reflexive pronoun AFTER the infinitive (attached). No debes preocuparte. = You shouldnt worry.
IF you have 2 verbs, you have 2 ways to say a sentence using a reflexive pronoun! Before the conjugated verb OR Attached to the infinitive
-If you want to sound more like a native speaker, you can put the reflexive pronoun before the conjugated verb if there is an infinitive later in the sentence: Por ejemplo: No te debes preocupar. = You shouldnt worry (yourself). ¿Cuándo se va a bañar? = When is she going to bathe (herself)?
1.Tú / bañarse a las ocho _________________________________ 2.Pedro y Manuel / compartirse mucho ______________________________ 3.Lola y yo / ir a saludarse __________________________
4. Sara dedicated herself to her studies _____________________________ 5. I am excited at the start of class ________________________________ 6. You want to apologize to your best friend _______________________________________
Nonreflexively: Reflexive: Me desperté a las diez hoy. = I woke up at ten today. Nonreflexive: Le desperté a mi hermanito a las diez hoy. = I woke up my little brother at ten today.
1. She gets dressed every __________________________________________ 2. Benjamín washed his face. _____________________________________ 3. Isabel dried her hair. (secarse) __________________________________ 4. Paco got really bored. ________________________________________
5. Andrea has sat on the chair. ___________________________________ 6. Máximo bathed the cat yesterday. ____________________________ 7. Liliana has complained a lot. ________________________________
12. The students had opposed the idea. ___________________________________ 13. We had washed our hair at our grandparents house. _______________________________________ _______________________________
Reflexives for each other / one another In Spanish, we can also use reflexive verbs to express the idea of each other or one another. *English fact: each other can only refer to two people =You and I help each other. one another refers to three or more = The students in the class share with one another.
Kike y yo nos conocemos muy bien. = Kike and I know each other very well. Mis hermanitos se pelean mucho. = My little brothers fight with each other a lot. Los amigos deben ayudarse. = Friends should help one another.
*With reflexive verbs used reciprocally, you will always have a plural ending, because you are referring to more than one person. (each other/ one another).
Examples: Saludarse Mauricio y Mariana se saludaron. = Mauricio and Mariana said hello. (The to each other is implied but not stated) Mauricio y Mariana se saludaron el uno a la otra (Mauricio and Mariana said hello to each other. Directly, el uno a la otra means he to her, or the one to the other
1. Catalina y Margarita /perdonarse ______________________________________ 2. Roberto / quejarse ______________________________ 3. Raquel y Ana / llevarse bien _____________________________ 4. Liliana y Benjamín / pelearse mucho ________________________________
5. The friends forgave each other at the end of the movie. __________________________________________ ____________________________ 6. Manuel and Pedro secretly hate each other (en secreto). __________________________________________ ____________________________ 7. Melía and Carmía greet each other. __________________________________________ ______________________________
8. A happy family supports (one another). __________________________________________ _____________________ 9. Liliana and Pedro phone each other often / frequently. __________________________________________ _______________________ 10. Lola and Sarita tell one another gossip every day. __________________________________________ ____________
11. Karlita and Selena get along well. _______________________________________ ________________ 12. Sofía and Eva help each other. _______________________________________ __________________
1. Britney Spears has to fix her hair (peinarse). _______________________________________ ________________________ 2. Lil Wayne regrets having a gun. (arrepentirse, e ie) _______________________________________ ________________________ 3. I brush my teeth every day. _______________________________________ _________________________
4. You wash your hands with soap before eating. __________________________________________ ________________________ 5. We wake up at the same time! Have you stretched yet? __________________________________________ __________________________________________ ___ 6. Ismael washes the dog. __________________________________________ __________________
7. The student got bored from being at school. He left. (irse) __________________________________________ ________________ 8.I wake up the baby in order to play with her. __________________________________________ _______________________ 9.The students and I wanted to relax today. __________________________________________ ____ OR __________________________________________ ____________
A personal: We visit our grandparents. Visitamos _______________________________ I really love my friends. Quiero mucho _______________________________ Selena gave her parents a gift. Selena _______________________________
Se impersonal: In Spanish, we can use the pronoun se in order to avoid specifying the person who is doing the action of the verb. For example: Se vende casa = House for sale. Se aquila apartamento = Apartment for rent.
In these expressions, you are indicating that SOMEONE is selling a house or renting an apartment, but that you either dont know who the person is or you are choosing not to identify him or her.
The Spanish reflexives can be used for both of these cases. When you use se, the verb is always in the third person. It could be either the he/she form or the they form.
~If the noun that follows the verb is singular, the verb is in the él/ella/usted form: Aquí se habla español = Spanish is spoken here. A. How would you say, Guitar for sale = ___________________________ How do you (does one) turn off the vacuum cleaner? = ________________________________________ _____
~If the noun that follows the verb is plural, you use the ellos/ellas/ustedes form of the verb. Aquí se reparan carros = Cars are repaired here. B. How would you say, Books for sale = ___________________________
You can use this construction with se in all tenses. For example: Se hizo mucho = A lot was done. (a type of passive voice) Se había hecho mucho = A lot has been done. Se hará mucho = A lot will be done. How would you say, Strange things (cosas raras) were said = _________________________________
1.The taxes (los impuestos) are paid on Mondays. _______________________________________ _____________________ 2.How does one say ice cream? in English? _______________________________________ __________________________ 3.They serve spicy food at this Mexican restaurant. (Spicy food is served) __________________________________________ ________________ 4.Credit cards (tarjetas de crédito) are not accepted here. __________________________________________