Christmas Carol Study Guide Answers
Act One Scene One
1. Who is Marley? How does he know Scrooge?
Jacob Marley Scrooge’s former business partner Dead for 7 years Acts as a narrator for the story
2. How did Scrooge react when Marley died?
Wasn’t sad Didn’t mourn More concerned about money Worked on the day of the funeral
3. Explain why Scrooge answers to both Scrooge and Marley?
The sign in the window hasn’t been changed because Scrooge is too cheap, so people aren’t sure who he is.
4. Evaluate the relationship between Scrooge and Marley.
Not friends Business partners But no “lost love” at Marley’s death
Act One Scene Two
5. Describe Scooge’s character and appearance.
Old Mean Miser Cheap Scary looking
6. Compare Scrooge to the winter weather.
Both dark and gloomy Remember! The story is set in London, England!
7. Describe Scrooge’s nephew’s character traits.
Friendly Loving Forgiving
8. Compare Scrooge’s attitude toward Christmas with that of his nephew
8. Compare Scrooge’s attitude toward Christmas with that of his nephew. Give examples from the story. Scrooge says “Bah, Humbug” every time Fred says “Merry Christmas”
9. What, besides Christmas, does Scrooge ridicule in his conversation with his nephew?
Being married and in love
10. Based on the visit from the 2 men, summarize Scrooge’s emotions toward charity for the poor and unfortunate. Doesn’t care about them Thinks they deserve poor houses and jail
11. Explain how Scrooge responds to his desk clerk’s request to take Christmas Day off.
Gives it to him, but isn’t happy about it Doesn’t think it’s fair Makes Cratchit come to work early the day after Christmas
Act One Scene Three
12. Describe the Christmas Eve weather.
Dark Bleak Void Snowy
13. When Scrooge first arrives at home, what does he see that foreshadows that this will be an odd night. Marley’s face in the door
14. Describe the appearance of Marley’s ghost.
In business clothes with chains and money boxes attached
15.Why does Marley’s ghost appear to Scrooge?
To show him how to escape his own fate To warn him to change so he doesn’t end up like Marley
16. Describe Scrooge’s emotions during the visit by Marley’s ghost
16. Describe Scrooge’s emotions during the visit by Marley’s ghost. Compare his emotions at the beginning to his emotions at the end of his visit. Denial Fear Belief
17. What does Marley tell Scrooge will happen?
3 spirits will visit in 3 nights at 1am and 12am